Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Cameron Simpson

Default Make newly created directories 0775 by default

On 05Feb2008 14:09, aragonx@dcsnow.com <aragonx@dcsnow.com> wrote:
| > | You would want to add this to your smb.conf file (found in /etc/samba on
| > | my system). Then you would probably need to restart Samba by doing
| > | something like this:
| > | /etc/init.d/smb restart
| >
| > It's enough to kill the particular smdb serving the client machine, which
| > can be obtained from the smbstatus command. We tend to prefer this when fixing
| > a problem for an individual user.
|
| In this case, since he wants all directories created by all users to have
| the new group permissions, he would have to use the restart method
| originally suggested right?

Correct. I just wanted to point out that it was not a one size fits all
solution. (Well, it is, but it's intrusive and overkill for fine grained
issues - smbd reads the smb.conf when a PC connects, so you only need a
full restart when you want all PCs to get new smb.conf settings).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM

> Correct. I just wanted to point out that it was not a one size fits all
> solution. (Well, it is, but it's intrusive and overkill for fine grained
> issues - smbd reads the smb.conf when a PC connects, so you only need a
> full restart when you want all PCs to get new smb.conf settings).

A few more questions if you don't mind. When you do a restart, it does
not disconnect a user does it? And what if they auto-mount the smb
directories when they log in (like on a Windows box). They would not ever
need to reconnect until they log off right? Or does each attempt to
read/write a file force a reconnect?

believed to be clean.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 06Feb2008 14:25, aragonx@dcsnow.com <aragonx@dcsnow.com> wrote:
| > Correct. I just wanted to point out that it was not a one size fits all
| > solution. (Well, it is, but it's intrusive and overkill for fine grained
| > issues - smbd reads the smb.conf when a PC connects, so you only need a
| > full restart when you want all PCs to get new smb.conf settings).
|
| A few more questions if you don't mind. When you do a restart, it does
| not disconnect a user does it? And what if they auto-mount the smb
| directories when they log in (like on a Windows box). They would not ever
| need to reconnect until they log off right? Or does each attempt to
| read/write a file force a reconnect?

It does disconnect all the users, but Windows silent reconnects next
time the user makes use of that mapped drive.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

"If you could have any amount of money... How much would you want?"
"All of it." - Cerebus the Aardvark