Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Terry - Fedora Core

Default moving from FC 5 to FC 8

Old computer died. Salvaged hard drive and installed on new computer.

New computer now has 3 hard drives in the following configuration.

1. sda - 120 GB - original drive from old computer. Used LVM under
FC 5. partitions are:
* sda1 ext3 -- the boot partition, 101.94 MB

* sda2 ntfs -- the original Windows XP partition, 10 GB
* sda3 extended -- contains sda5 and sda6, 104.93 B
* sda5 fat3e2 -- origanilly used to communicate between FC5
and Windows XP, 10 GB
* sda6 ext3 I think - all of the original FC 5 directories
and data, 94.93 GB
2. sdb - new 500 GB drive with Windows Vista
3. sdc - new 500 GB drive with Kubuntu Gutsy, 7.10, installed.

Normally the boot priority is:

1. DVD drive
2. sda
3. sdb
4. sdc

Used the BIOS to alter the boot sequence to:

1. DVD drive
2. sdc
3. sdb
4. sda

Got a no operating system message. If I make the priority:

1. DVD drive
2. sdb
3. sda
4. sdc

Then Windows boots - no GRUB.

So I'm pretty sure that the Kubuntu installation left the MBR on sdb
intact from the Windows installation and upgraded the GRUB installation
on sda from the FC 5 installation.

Under the Kubuntu Gutsy, 7.10 installation, grub allows me to boot into
Kubuntu, Windows XP on sda2 and Windows Vista on sdb

Currently sda1 and sda6 are totally unreadable under Kubuntu. sda1 is
the boot partition so that will remain unreadable. sda6 is under the FC
5 LVM and so Kubuntu cannot read it.

What I want to do.

I have the Fedora Core 8 DVD and want to upgrade FC 5 on sda above to FC 8.

Also, I would like to delete the LVM during the upgrade.

Have read the Installation instructions and I think the following can be
done:

1. upgrade FC 5 installing FC 8 on top of the FC 5 installation on
sda6 - I think that the FC 8 upgrade will do this automatically -
TRUE??

I can boot the FC 8 Live CD, which can read sda6, and back-up all
data from the FC 5 installation on sda6 to DVD so, I'm not really
worried about losing anything on sda6.

2. I think that sda1 is still the boot partition used by the GRUB
installed by Kubuntu for booting - is there any way to verify this
more than altering the boot sequence as I did above?

The file "/boot/grub/menu.lst" on sdc is currently the OS menu
displayed on boot. The old menu from FC 5 is on the same file on
sda6.

Would the FC 5 to FC 8 upgrade maintain the sda1 boot partition
and just alter it to reflect the FC 8 OS on sda6?

3. remove the LVM leaving sda1 as the boot partition and transforming
sda6 to a plain ext3 partition with FC 8 installed there.

4. leave sda2 as ntfs with Windows XP as bootable.

5. leave sdb as ntfs with Windows Vista as bootable

6. leave sdc as Kubuntu and ext 3 and bootable

That would give me the following bootable OSs:

1. FC 8 installed in sda6 I think. True??
2. Windows XP on sda2
3. Windows Vista on sdb
4. Kubuntu on sdc

Like I said, I have read the FC 8 installation manual and I think the
above is doable, but the details are a little unknown to me.

Since the details are unknown, I am hesitant to insert the FC 8 DVD and
plunge ahead.

What problems do you see that I should know about and work around?

Is the above doable?

Can I install without destroying the boot information on sda1 that
Kubuntu installed there?

Can I remove the LVM installed by FC 5 and retain sda6 as ext3 which can
then be read by both FC 8 and Kubuntu?

Anything else that I should know before starting this?

Thanks,
Terry

Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 13:31 -0500, Terry - Fedora Core wrote:
> Old computer died. Salvaged hard drive and installed on new computer.
> Have read the Installation instructions and I think the following can be
> done:
>
> 1. upgrade FC 5 installing FC 8 on top of the FC 5 installation on
> sda6 - I think that the FC 8 upgrade will do this automatically -
> TRUE??

Sure, but you're likely to have one friggin' big mess to clean up. It
would be better to back up anything mission critical and install clean,
IMHO. I'd be extremely careful copying config files on top of the new
ones as well. Myself, I would use old config files for comparison to
edit the new ones with. An upgrade jump that large is sure to be very
problematic. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Timothy Murphy

Terry - Fedora Core wrote:

> Old computer died. Salvaged hard drive and installed on new computer.
>
> New computer now has 3 hard drives in the following configuration.
>
> 1. sda - 120 GB - original drive from old computer. Used LVM under
> FC 5. partitions are:
> * sda1 ext3 -- the boot partition, 101.94 MB
> * sda2 ntfs -- the original Windows XP partition, 10 GB
> * sda3 extended -- contains sda5 and sda6, 104.93 B
> * sda5 fat3e2 -- origanilly used to communicate between FC5
> and Windows XP, 10 GB
> * sda6 ext3 I think - all of the original FC 5 directories
> and data, 94.93 GB
> 2. sdb - new 500 GB drive with Windows Vista
> 3. sdc - new 500 GB drive with Kubuntu Gutsy, 7.10, installed.

I haven't studied your rather complicated situation carefully,
but I would make three suggestions:

1. Get Knoppix to find the actual situation.

2. Spend an hour learning to use grub interactively.

3. Make a copy of the MBR(s) before installing grub on them:
dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.1 bs=512 count=1
Then you can re-install (eg with Knoppix) if disaster strikes.

Also, unless you have SCSI disks I think FC-5 would have called the disks
/dev/hda? not /dev/sda? .
Basically, I think you have to label all the FC-5 disks
if you want to upgrade.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Terry - Fedora Core wrote:

[...]

It sounds like there is not boot loader on sdc.

1. DVD drive
2. sdb
3. sda
4. sdc

Then Windows boots - no GRUB.

So I'm pretty sure that the Kubuntu installation left the MBR on sdb
intact from the Windows installation and upgraded the GRUB installation
on sda from the FC 5 installation.

Under the Kubuntu Gutsy, 7.10 installation, grub allows me to boot into
Kubuntu, Windows XP on sda2 and Windows Vista on sdb

Currently sda1 and sda6 are totally unreadable under Kubuntu. sda1 is
the boot partition so that will remain unreadable. sda6 is under the FC
5 LVM and so Kubuntu cannot read it.

You should be able to mount sda1, as the boot partition should be an
ext3 formatted partition.

What I want to do.

I have the Fedora Core 8 DVD and want to upgrade FC 5 on sda above to FC 8.

Also, I would like to delete the LVM during the upgrade.

Have read the Installation instructions and I think the following can be
done:

1. upgrade FC 5 installing FC 8 on top of the FC 5 installation on
sda6 - I think that the FC 8 upgrade will do this automatically -
TRUE??

I can boot the FC 8 Live CD, which can read sda6, and back-up all
data from the FC 5 installation on sda6 to DVD so, I'm not really
worried about losing anything on sda6.

I would do a backup and a new install, instead of an upgrade. This
is the easiest way to get rid of LVM. An upgrade will have to use
the LVM partition as LVM, but a new install can format it to ext3,
or what ever you want. You will have to manually partition the
drive, but you can do that during the install.

2. I think that sda1 is still the boot partition used by the GRUB
installed by Kubuntu for booting - is there any way to verify this
more than altering the boot sequence as I did above?

The file "/boot/grub/menu.lst" on sdc is currently the OS menu
displayed on boot. The old menu from FC 5 is on the same file on
sda6.

Would the FC 5 to FC 8 upgrade maintain the sda1 boot partition
and just alter it to reflect the FC 8 OS on sda6?

From the way the system boots, Kubuntu installed its Grub first
stage on the first drive, with stage 1.5 on the third drive. You can
use grub-install to change that to the MBR of the third drive, and
chainload to it from the F8 installation. Or you can have F8 install
Grub to the boot record of sda1 (You /boot partition for F8) and add
an entry to your Kubuntu menu. Just keep in mind that if you remove
the third drive, you will break the boot loader if you do this.

Mikkel