Old 02-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Default Rotate screen?

Is it possible to rotate the GNOME desktop through 90 degress
(portrait mode)?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Peter Gordon

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 07:51 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Is it possible to rotate the GNOME desktop through 90 degress
> (portrait mode)?

It is, and depending on the video card and driver you are using, should
be relatively simple.

Open the "System" main menu, then go to Preferences --> Hardware -->
Screen Resolution. From there you can choose the Rotation of your
choice.

I don't know for sure which video card/driver combinations support it
and which do not; but my testing is successful with my own workstation
(G965 video using the current xorg-x11-drv-intel stack).

Alternatively, you can use the 'xrandr' tool from the command-line if
you prefer that method. Check it's documentation for more details
(`xrandr --help` or `man xrandr` from the terminal).

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479

Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Peter> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 07:51 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> Is it possible to rotate the GNOME desktop through 90 degress
>> (portrait mode)?

Peter> It is, and depending on the video card and driver you are
Peter> using, should be relatively simple.

Peter> Open the "System" main menu, then go to Preferences -->
Peter> Hardware --> Screen Resolution. From there you can choose
Peter> the Rotation of your choice.

Thanks.

But when i do that, I see the screen resolution drop-down is
greyed-out on Normal.

My screen is connected with a VGA cable - would a DVI cable make a
difference?

My hardware (according to X11) is:

(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU Quadro FX 1700 (G84GL) at PCI:8:0:0 (GPU-0)

My xorg.conf looks like this:

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
HorizSync 31.5 - 65.5
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Peter Gordon

Hmm.

I did a Google search for this and it seems you need to add the
RandRRotation option to your xorg.conf video section:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "RandRRotation" "on"
EndSection

However, I have little experience with XRandR (which is the extension
that allows this), and even less with Nvidia cards. So I'm afraid I
can't be of much further help, sorry. :|

Hope that's at least a shove in the right direction.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Peter Gordon

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 00:27 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> Hmm.
>
> I did a Google search for this and it seems you need to add the
> RandRRotation option to your xorg.conf video section:

Just a note: I found that by searching for "nvidia xrandr."

It was mentioned in chapter 17 of the README:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/171.05/README/README.txt

Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Peter> Hmm. I did a Google search for this and it seems you need
Peter> to add the RandRRotation option to your xorg.conf video
Peter> section:

Peter> Section "Device" Identifier "Videocard0" Driver "nvidia"
Peter> Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" Option "RandRRotation"
Peter> "on" EndSection

Peter> However, I have little experience with XRandR (which is the
Peter> extension that allows this), and even less with Nvidia
Peter> cards. So I'm afraid I can't be of much further help,
Peter> sorry. :|

No need - that was all it took - it works.

Thanks a lot.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM
John Summerfield

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

Is it possible to rotate the GNOME desktop through 90 degress
(portrait mode)?
Google found me a command to use which I'm sure doesn't rely on KDE or
Gnome.

I did it two or three times, then decided that as the Linux console
doesn't rotate it wasn't all that useful to me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 02-03-2008, 01:02 PM
John Summerfield

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

"Peter" == Peter Gordon <peter@thecodergeek.com> writes:

Peter> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 07:51 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> Is it possible to rotate the GNOME desktop through 90 degress
>> (portrait mode)?

Peter> It is, and depending on the video card and driver you are
Peter> using, should be relatively simple.

Peter> Open the "System" main menu, then go to Preferences -->
Peter> Hardware --> Screen Resolution. From there you can choose
Peter> the Rotation of your choice.

Thanks.

But when i do that, I see the screen resolution drop-down is
greyed-out on Normal.

My screen is connected with a VGA cable - would a DVI cable make a
difference?

It worked for me with a VGA cable; my graphics is VGA-only.