Old 02-01-2008, 06:32 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

Default NetworkManager and a boot-time network connection in F8

Is there a way to configure NetworkManager to bring up the network at
boot time? I find it remarkable that this Linux program defaults to
treating a network connection as a service tied to a user. Shades of
the evil empire of the northwest. I'd like my laptop to send me cron
mail and keep synced with ntp whether I'm logged in on the console or
not.

Unfortunately wpa_supplicant is once again cranky in F8. Moving
wpa_supplicant to the S09 slot didn't get it all working, hence my
attempt to use NetworkManager.

(Sorry if this is a faq. Googling this list is nearly impossible
without some way to search by possting date and Fedora version.)

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html

Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:32 -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Is there a way to configure NetworkManager to bring up the network at
> boot time? I find it remarkable that this Linux program defaults to
> treating a network connection as a service tied to a user. Shades of
> the evil empire of the northwest. I'd like my laptop to send me cron
> mail and keep synced with ntp whether I'm logged in on the console or
> not.
Th
--is is a feature designated to be added to NM.0.7, hopefully soon

Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 AM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:32 -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> Is there a way to configure NetworkManager to bring up the network at
>> boot time? I find it remarkable that this Linux program defaults to
>> treating a network connection as a service tied to a user. Shades of
>> the evil empire of the northwest. I'd like my laptop to send me cron
>> mail and keep synced with ntp whether I'm logged in on the console or
>> not.
> This is a feature designated to be added to NM.0.7, hopefully soon

Thanks. That is good to know.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Mike

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200802 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to configure NetworkManager to bring up the network at
> boot time? I find it remarkable that this Linux program defaults to
> treating a network connection as a service tied to a user. Shades of
> the evil empire of the northwest. I'd like my laptop to send me cron
> mail and keep synced with ntp whether I'm logged in on the console or
> not.
>
> Unfortunately wpa_supplicant is once again cranky in F8. Moving
> wpa_supplicant to the S09 slot didn't get it all working, hence my
> attempt to use NetworkManager.

Wolfgang

I have had wpa_supplicant working nicely in F8 at boot time for a while now.
You can see my method in
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html

Hope this helps

Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Timothy Murphy

Mike wrote:

> I have had wpa_supplicant working nicely in F8 at boot time for a while
> now. You can see my method in
> http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html

I looked quickly at this, and it wasn't clear to me
if you were running NetworkManager or not.
Whichever it is, you should perhaps state it explicitly?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Mike

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> I looked quickly at this, and it wasn't clear to me
> if you were running NetworkManager or not.
> Whichever it is, you should perhaps state it explicitly?

My web page is for wpa_supplicant and specifically NOT NetworkManager.
The reason is that I wanted to be able to get the wireless up and running
at boot time and not have to mess with getting wireless going after logging
in to the desktop.(Mainly because this was for a non-tech user with a laptop
that just wanted the machine to boot and and be connected without having to
do anything manually - so I set it up to achieve this)

Hence the only way I could find to sensibly to this was to use wpa_supplicant
and avoid any use of NetworkManager. Maybe this will change in the future
if NetworkManager functionality is changed.

Hope this helps.