-   -   Enable rescue of systems with encrypted partitions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/44883-enable-rescue-systems-encrypted-partitions.html)

David Lehman 02-01-2008 06:04 PM

Enable rescue of systems with encrypted partitions

Add support for rescue of systems with encrypted devices. A dict containing encryption information for all pre-existing encrypted devices is added to the Partitions object. Also added are methods to scan all disks for encrypted devices and prompt the user for passphrases. From there, code that scans devices for various information is modified to account for the possibility that any given device may be encrypted, using the information contained in the Partitions instance as needed to decrypt devices.

Trying to do custom partitioning on a system containing pre-existing encrypted devices is still completely broken.

Jeremy Katz 02-04-2008 02:36 PM

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 13:04 -0600, David Lehman wrote:
> Add support for rescue of systems with encrypted devices. A dict containing encryption information for all pre-existing encrypted devices is added to the Partitions object. Also added are methods to scan all disks for encrypted devices and prompt the user for passphrases. From there, code that scans devices for various information is modified to account for the possibility that any given device may be encrypted, using the information contained in the Partitions instance as needed to decrypt devices.

Looks good in general. I agree with Bill's partition->device comment.
Also, it might be nice to add support for entering a global passphrase
when creating encrypted devs also for consistency's sake

Jeremy