Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Terry Barnaby

Default Fedora14 install to partition from running system

Is it possible to install Fedora14 onto a spare partition from DVD on a running
Fedora12 system ?
I have two separate 30G partitions on my systems to allow two Fedora versions to
be installed. I normally install a new Fedora onto the alternate partition
allowing a boot back to the old system in case of issues and to retrieve config.
However, Fedora, with all my default packages, takes a fair time to install so I
was wondering if there was a way to do this while the existing system is running ?
I guess I could use KVM or something, but is there an easy way, something like
"anaconda --root=..." ?

Cheers

Terry

Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
stan

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:25:50 +0000
Terry Barnaby <terry1@beam.ltd.uk> wrote:

> Is it possible to install Fedora14 onto a spare partition from DVD on
> a running Fedora12 system ?
> I have two separate 30G partitions on my systems to allow two Fedora
> versions to be installed. I normally install a new Fedora onto the
> alternate partition allowing a boot back to the old system in case of
> issues and to retrieve config. However, Fedora, with all my default
> packages, takes a fair time to install so I was wondering if there
> was a way to do this while the existing system is running ? I guess I
> could use KVM or something, but is there an easy way, something like
> "anaconda --root=..." ?

It sounds like you want to run the install as a process under your
running F12 system. As far as I know, the answer is no. When the DVD
boots, it loads its own verion of the linux kernel to actually do the
install.

I do what you do regarding the partitions, and the new F14 install took
2 hours from start to finish. Of course, it took a lot more tweaking
after, but it would boot successfully after 2 hours. That doesn't seem
excessive to me.