Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Deron Meranda

Default Fedora F13 to F14 upgrade leaves RPM database with strange mix of fc13 and fc14 packages

I upgraded a Fedora 13 system to Fedora 14 using the full boot from
DVD (not preupgrade).
The upgrade itself went smoothly. After the reboot into F14 I then
attempted to do
a yum update (it is all defaults, I don't have any custom yum
repositories set up).

The update initially failed because of a strange dependency between the python3
package and the alchemy package. I removed alchemy and then the yum update
succeeded.

However, even after a reboot, things seem strange. For instance if I
do an "rpm -a"
to get a list of installed packages I see many packages with "fc13" in
them. Yet
a "yum list available" shows that a "fc14" version should be out
there. But trying
to update or install it fails too.

For example,

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

# rpm -qi tzdata
Name : tzdata Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 2010n Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 1.fc13 Build Date: Wed 27 Oct
2010 12:11:46 PM EDT
Install Date: Wed 03 Nov 2010 11:42:30 AM EDT Build Host:
x86-03.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Group : System Environment/Base Source RPM:
tzdata-2010n-1.fc13.src.rpm
Size : 1880732 License: Public Domain
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Wed 27 Oct 2010 07:22:43 PM EDT, Key ID
7edc6ad6e8e40fde
Packager : Fedora Project
Description :
This package contains data files with rules for various timezones around
the world.

Notice that tzdata is still from Fedora 13. Yum won't update it...

# yum update tzdata
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

But when trying to install rather than update, yum says that the F14
version is already installed...

# yum install tzdata
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
Setting up Install Process
Package matching tzdata-2010k-1.fc14.noarch already installed.
Checking for update.
Nothing to do

So what may be going on here? I have lots of packages from seemingly
different releases. But do note that this system started from a fresh
install of Fedora 13 ... I never had an earlier version installed.

# rpm -qa | grep fc11 | wc -l
1

# rpm -qa | grep fc12 | wc -l
110

# rpm -qa | grep fc13 | wc -l
162

# rpm -qa | grep fc14 | wc -l
1350

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 AM
J B

Deron Meranda <deron.meranda <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So what may be going on here? I have lots of packages from seemingly
> different releases. But do note that this system started from a fresh
> install of Fedora 13 ... I never had an earlier version installed.
>
> # rpm -qa | grep fc11 | wc -l
> 1
>
> # rpm -qa | grep fc12 | wc -l
> 110
>
> # rpm -qa | grep fc13 | wc -l
> 162
>
> # rpm -qa | grep fc14 | wc -l
> 1350

Some of the earlier packages (F11, etc) may come from e.g. rpmfusion-* repos, if
you have them enabled, that are required by current F14 packages, e.g. vlc.

Start with Fc11 above
# rpm -qa | grep fc11
and try to
# yum remove <package>
to see if they have any dependencies.

JB

Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:25 AM, J B <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the earlier packages (F11, etc) may come from e.g. rpmfusion-* repos, if
> you have them enabled, that are required by current F14 packages, e.g. vlc.

I'm not familiar with the rpmfusion repos, what are they?

> Start with Fc11 above
> # rpm -qa | grep fc11
> and try to
> # yum remove <package>
> to see if they have any dependencies.

The only fc11 package is:

# rpm -qa | grep fc11
mod_dnssd-0.6-2.fc11.x86_64

Trying to remove it fails,

# rpm -e mod_dnssd
error: Failed dependencies:
mod_dnssd is needed by (installed) gnome-user-share-2.30.0-7.fc14.x86_64

That dependency makes no sense to me. Why would gnome depend
on an Apache module?
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:25 AM, J B <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some of the earlier packages (F11, etc) may come from e.g. rpmfusion-* repos, if
>> you have them enabled, that are required by current F14 packages, e.g. vlc.
>
> I'm not familiar with the rpmfusion repos, what are they?

Here's my yum repos...

# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
repo id repo name
status
fedora Fedora 14 - x86_64
22,161
updates Fedora 14 - x86_64 -
Updates 1,331
repolist: 23,492

Also running a yum check,

# yum check
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
perl-Net-DNS-SEC-0.16-3.fc13.noarch has missing requires of
perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.10.1)
Error: check all

And yum version

# yum version
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
Installed: 14/x86_64
1642:449e320d229114c9a61bcf2339f3c54336815d96
Group-Installed: yum
13:dfcd93b8f5e417ba3554666fa91e55645122feed
version

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:45 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deron Meranda <deron.meranda <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> That dependency makes no sense to me. Why would gnome depend
>> on an Apache module?
>
> Try to understand:
> $ gnome-user-share
> $ mod_dnssd
> Perhaps you do not want to have/need gnome-user-share package ?

I wasn't even aware of either package; I don't think I want either. I was
able to remove both fine.

I still have a lot of fc12 and fc13 packages though.

> With regard to various repos:
> $ yum repolist all
> and make sure the wanted/correct ones are enabled/disabled.

Only two repos are enabled:
* Fedora 14 - x86_64
* Fedora 14 - x86_64 - Updates

the complete list follows (I removed some whitespace to avoid line wraps)

# yum repolist all
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia Fedora 14 disabled
fedora Fedora 14 - x86_64 enabled: 22,161
fedora-debuginfo Fedora 14 - x86_64 - Debug disabled
fedora-source Fedora 14 - Source disabled
updates Fedora 14 - x86_64 - Updates enabled: 1,331
updates-debuginfo Fedora 14 - x86_64 - Updates - Debug disabled
updates-source Fedora 14 - Updates Source disabled
updates-testing Fedora 14 - x86_64 - Test Updates disabled
updates-testing-debuginfo Fedora 14 - x86_64 - Test Updates Debug disabled
updates-testing-source Fedora 14 - Test Updates Source disabled
repolist: 23,492

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:12 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, now for a good measure:
> # yum clean all
> # yum check-update
> # yum update

Nothing to do.

# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
Cleaning repos: fedora updates
Cleaning up Everything
0 delta-package files removed, by presto

# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
fedora/metalink | 19 kB 00:00
fedora | 4.3 kB 00:00
fedora/primary_db | 14 MB 00:43
updates/metalink | 3.1 kB 00:00
updates | 4.7 kB 00:00
updates/primary_db | 938 kB 00:03

# yum update

Old 11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Deron Meranda

Investigating just a little more, using the tzdata package...

What I have installed:
* tzdata-2010n-1.fc13.noarch (version 2010n)

What is on the Fedora 14 DVD:
* tzdata-2010k-1.fc14.noarch (version 2010k)

and there don't appear to be any F14 updates for tzdata yet
(using yum list available).

So that explains why tzdata is still showing fc13 ... because it
actually is newer that the current fc14 package !!

A quick attempt to install using rpm -U verifies that the
install fails with an "installed version is newer" error.

So tzdata is explained .... now to look into the hundreds
of other packages...
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/10 08:25, Deron Meranda wrote:
>> Investigating just a little more, using the tzdata package...
> <snip>
>
> yum distribution-synchronization
>
> This will leave you with what is in the F14 repos

That looks like it wants to downgrade several packages:

apr-util
apr-util-devel
apr-util-ldap
info
orc
perl-Net-DNS-SEC
texinfo
texinfo-tex
tzdata
tzdata-java
xorg-x11-drv-wacom

Looking at a couple, such as texinfo, it does indeed appear as if the version
available in Fedora 14 is OLDER than the version in Fedora 13 (up to the
current patch/update level).

I've not actually done the distribution-synchronization yet as I'm not
sure I want to downgrade anything yet.

As far as some of the other fc13 packages, well, exploring the Fedora 14
DVD, it looks like it contains many fc13 packages. Perhaps they just
didn't change?

On the DVD (Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso) in the Packages directory,
listing the *.rpm files,

ls -1 Packages/*.fc11.* | wc -l ==> 1
ls -1 Packages/*.fc12.* | wc -l ==> 407
ls -1 Packages/*.fc13.* | wc -l ==> 283
ls -1 Packages/*.fc14.* | wc -l ==> 2056

So I guess that's the answer to the mystery. The F14 disc seems to
have packages from past releases. I didn't expect that.

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> F14 was done without a "mass rebuild" to rename fc13 to fc14.
>
> If you find something breaks because of a newer fc13, you may need to
> downgrade, otherwise if not broken. Maybe let them play together.

I understand now, thanks. I just wasn't expecting that and so I was
alarmed when I saw lots of packages that weren't fc14. The system is
apparently working fine, but I just wasn't sure.

However, there are a couple strange things that aren't just explained
by not renaming (supposedly unchanged) packages.

1. I had a dependency conflict between the python3 and alchemy
packages; in which 'yum update' failed completely until I removed
alchemy. (And this is what initially got me looking at all the
version numbers anyway)

2. If you upgrade from F13 to F14 ... AND you have a fully updated
F13 system (as of 2010-11-05); then you actually may have to
downgrade to get to F14. There are apparently at least 7 packages
which have newer versions right now in F13 than they do in F14 !!

I am supposing that issue 2 is just caused by upstream patches
making it through the F13 release stream faster than the F14
stream??

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Deron Meranda

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Andre Robatino
<robatino@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On my cleanly installed and updated F14 x86_64 box, the correct versions of the
> above packages are

And I've included what I have afterward in [brackets]...

> apr-util-1.3.9-3.fc13.x86_64 [-1.3.10-1.fc13.x86_64]
> apr-util-devel-1.3.9-3.fc13.x86_64 [-1.3.10-1.fc13.x86_64]
> apr-util-ldap-1.3.9-3.fc13.x86_64 [1.3.10-1.fc13.x86_64]
> info-4.13a-10.fc14.x86_64 [-4.13a-11.fc13.x86_64]
> orc-0.4.6-1.fc14.x86_64 [-0.4.10-1.fc13.x86_64]
> orc-0.4.6-1.fc14.i686 [none]
> perl-Net-DNS-SEC-0.14-7.fc14.noarch [-0.16-3.fc13.noarch]
> texinfo-4.13a-10.fc14.x86_64 [-4.13a-11.fc13.x86_64]
> texinfo-tex-4.13a-10.fc14.x86_64 [-4.13a-11.fc13.x86_64]
> tzdata-2010k-1.fc14.noarch [-2010n-1.fc13.noarch]
> tzdata-java-2010k-1.fc14.noarch [-2010n-1.fc13.noarch]
> xorg-x11-drv-wacom-0.10.8-1.20100726.fc14.x86_64 [-0.10.8-2.fc13.x86_64]
>
> so assuming these are older than what you currently have installed, "yum
> distro-sync" should do the right thing. You don't want to have F13 versions of
> packages (meaning packages from the F13 repos, NOT packages with "fc13" in them,
> many of which are included in F14), even if they're newer (which ideally
> wouldn't happen).

I guess "ideally" didn't happen Because I definitely have newer packages
installed under Fedora 13 than I would get if syncing to Fedora 14.

Is this caused by just luck that the same upstream patches made it
though to F13 updates before it did to F14? If there's nothing in the
updates processes to prevent this, it is likely to happen to other people
as well; and perhaps with different sets of packages depending on
when they do the update from 13 to 14.

Also, what if I didn't know to do the distribution-synchronization ??
It certainly wasn't done for me.

Since I currently have a handful of Fedora 13 packages still on my
system; then in the future when newer patches do eventually come
out for Fedora 14; will a plain "yum update" have updated those,
or are they stuck in Fedora 13 land? And if this is not automatic,
then it would be very easy for lots of people out there who've done
an upgrade to have a few (random?) packages installed that will
"silently" not get properly updated with future patches!

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/