Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 PM
"Steven P. Ulrick"

Default How to "eject" an automatically mounted USB device

Hello Everyone,
I am running Fedora 13, and I am using KDE as my desktop environment.
I would like to be able to charge my new (3rd generation) Kindle on my computer,
but I get an error on the Kindle that reads like this:
If you want to use your Kindle, please eject your Kindle from your computer.
Currently, your Kindle is not charging.

I can get this to work in a virtual machine of Windows XP that I have installed
in Virtual Box. This is how I do it (remember that the Kindle is mounted in KDE
right now. I can browse the directories on it, and even add new files that show
up when I unplug the Kindle)

1. Start my virtual machine of Windows XP.
Command:
VirtualBox --fullscreen --startvm "Windows XP Pro 001"
2. In Virtual Box, do the following:
"Devices | USB Devices | Amazon Kindle [0100]"
This causes my Kindle to be released by Fedora/KDE, and mounts it in the virtual
machine of Windows XP.
3. Look at the screen of the Kindle, and I get the same message quoted above.
4. In "My Computer" in the virtual machine of Windows XP, right click on "Kindle
(E" and select "Eject"
5. The result is that now my Kindle is charging, and I can use it while it is
plugged into my computer. Of course, if I want to manually add any files, I need
to remount the Kindle. But that's OK...

So, some of you are thinking, why don't you just do the following:
1. Click on the "Device Notifier Applet"
2. Select the Kindle
3. Click on the little "Eject" icon that is on the right hand side of the
section that tells me what actions I can perform with that device.

Well, I don't do that, because when I try, I USED to get an error that said
something about not being able to eject that device because some other program
was using a file on it. Today, it just did something new: when I clicked on the
"Eject" icon, I did not get an error message. Also, the "Eject" icon changed to
a different icon. The tooltip says this "Click to access this device from other
applications." Unfortunately, the Kindle itself does not think that it is
ejected, and I still have the aforementioned error message on it's screen...

So, on Fedora 13, I cannot natively charge or use my Kindle when it is plugged
into my computer. But, on the same Fedora 13 system, I can do EXACTLY what I
want to do inside of a virtual instance of Windows XP running inside of Virtual
Box.

I have a feeling that this is probably going to be a real simple thing to fix,
but I can't seem to figure out how, and I have not been able to find anything to
help me on the internet...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steven P. Ulrick

Devices recently plugged in:

Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:28:29 -0500
Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> I am running Fedora 13, and I am using KDE as my desktop environment.
> I would like to be able to charge my new (3rd generation) Kindle on my
> computer, but I get an error on the Kindle that reads like this:
> If you want to use your Kindle, please eject your Kindle from your computer.
> Currently, your Kindle is not charging.

Did you try using the eject command from the commandline?