Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

Default Problems exporting directories from Fedora 8

I had to install Fedora 8 on a system because its version of glibc was necessary for some third party software that we needed to use.

I am trying to export some of the directories from the Fedora system, so that I can get the files backed up.

My server to which I am trying to export the files is a RedHat system which already has RedHat and Umbuntu directories mounted on it.* So the problem is not with the RedHat system.

Fedora 8 no longer has portmap but uses rpcbind instead.* The error message that I get when rpcbind is started up implies that I should start rpcbind as "rpcbind -w".* I changed the /etc/init.d/rpcbind file to do this.

Then I get an error message saying that the /var/...rpcbind.file has the wrong permissions.* I changed the permissions to rwxrw rw.* I still get the permissions problem.

On the server, the "mount* filesystem" gives me no error message, but nothing is mounted.

How does one get Fedora 8 to export directories?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
stan

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:08:25 -0400
"Doll, Margaret Ann" <margaret_doll@brown.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to export some of the directories from the Fedora system,
> so that I can get the files backed up.

I think you mean that these are separate systems rather than
partitions, so I probably can't help much with this as I don't have a
network, so don't deal with network issues. But since I see you've
posted this for the second time, I'll try to give you something.

> My server to which I am trying to export the files is a RedHat system
> which already has RedHat and Umbuntu directories mounted on it. So
> the problem is not with the RedHat system.

Here you use directories, above you implied systems. For directories,
just put entries in fstab using the UUID (blkid) so they are mounted at
boot. Create mount points to use in fstab in /mnt.

> Fedora 8 no longer has portmap but uses rpcbind instead. The error
> message that I get when rpcbind is started up implies that I should
> start rpcbind as "rpcbind -w". I changed the /etc/init.d/rpcbind
> file to do this. Then I get an error message saying that
> the /var/...rpcbind.file has the wrong permissions. I changed the
> permissions to rwxrw rw. I still get the permissions problem.

If the *directory* permissions to the file are not executable, you will
not be able to read the contents, and thus the file will be unavailable
to you.

> On the server, the "mount filesystem" gives me no error message, but
> nothing is mounted.

Do you see anything in /var/log/messages on the server? Have you tried
the -v option?

> How does one get Fedora 8 to export directories?

I think an alternative to the method you are using would be to use nfs,
but that is conjecture on my part. Maybe you would have better luck
with a different technique.

In your situation, I would do a lot of web searching. :-)

Old 11-04-2010, 05:43 PM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

> I am trying to export some of the directories from the Fedora system,

> so that I can get the files backed up.

I think you mean that these are separate systems rather than

partitions, so I probably can't help much with this as I don't have a

network, so don't deal with network issues. *But since I see you've

posted this for the second time, I'll try to give you something.

> My server to which I am trying to export the files is a RedHat system

> which already has RedHat and Umbuntu directories mounted on it. *So

> the problem is not with the RedHat system.

Here you use directories, above you implied systems. *For directories,

just put entries in fstab using the UUID (blkid) so they are mounted at

boot. *Create mount points to use in fstab in /mnt.

I have the correct entries in /etc/exports on the Fedora system and corresponding entries in /etc/fstab on the RedHat system.* As I said I have successfully mounted directories to the RedHat system from a couple of other systems.

> Fedora 8 no longer has portmap but uses rpcbind instead. *The error

> message that I get when rpcbind is started up implies that I should

> start rpcbind as "rpcbind -w". *I changed the /etc/init.d/rpcbind

> file to do this. Then I get an error message saying that

> the /var/...rpcbind.file has the wrong permissions. *I changed the

> permissions to rwxrw rw. *I still get the permissions problem.

If the *directory* permissions to the file are not executable, you will

not be able to read the contents, and thus the file will be unavailable

to you.

I made a mistake in the line that I typed above.* Everyone could read and execute the files.* The files should have been available to everyone and every process.

> On the server, the "mount *filesystem" gives me no error message, but

> nothing is mounted.

Do you see anything in /var/log/messages on the server? *Have you tried

the -v option?

There are no error messages on the RedHat system.

> How does one get Fedora 8 to export directories?

I think an alternative to the method you are using would be to use nfs,

but that is conjecture on my part. *Maybe you would have better luck

with a different technique.

I am using nfs.

In your situation, I would do a lot of web searching. *:-)

The web searches all report the problems I am having, but I have found no solutions.

Thanks for your remarks.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
stan

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 14:43:40 -0400
"Doll, Margaret Ann" <margaret_doll@brown.edu> wrote:

> The web searches all report the problems I am having, but I have
> found no solutions.

Sorry I gave no help. Here are a couple more avenues to pursue, both
long shots but better than nothing.

The first link is the fedora mailing list archives (you can also find
them at gmane.org). F8 was released about 3 years ago, so you could
try looking in the second half of 2007 to see if this problem was
reported on the list, and solutions were offered.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/

This link is the redhat / fedora bugzilla site where bugs are logged
for fixing. F8 tickets will be long closed, but you should be able to
modify the standard search to search for closed bugs to see if there is
any help.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

Finally, perhaps someone who fixed it will remember this problem and
give you some help.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

Thanks, Stan.* I will try your suggestions.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 AM
stan

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:13:01 -0400
"Doll, Margaret Ann" <margaret_doll@brown.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Stan. I will try your suggestions.

... However, Fedora 8 uses rpcbind-0.1.4-11.fc8, and I have confirmed
that denial requests are being entered into /var/log/messages when
rpcbind receives a request from an unauthorized host, so it looks like
this bug has been fixed. ...

I found the above snippet at
http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/fedora/fedora_files/f9/howto/nfs.html
which seems to be a very comprehensive description of how to set up nfs
on Fedora 7, 8, and 9.

When I read the surrounding blurb, it said that if the caller wasn't
allowed in /etc/hosts.allow, that rpcbind would issue an error message
in /var/log/messages.

Are you seeing any error messages in /var/log/messages on the F8 system
when you try to mount from the redhat server? I'm wondering if it
isn't authorized for rpcbind.

The above howto also mentions port issues that might be relevant.