Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

Default No sound after last kernel update.

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 09:28 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 9:22 AM, Mark C. Allman <mcallman@allmanpc.com> wrote:

> > > Sorry, I didn't say that the kernel versión is
> > > kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.

> > Do you have the Alsa apps such as aplay, arecord, amixer, etc.,
> > installed? If so, type "aplay -l" and see if any soundcards are found.
> > This is what I get:
> > [mcallman@prez doc]$ aplay -l
> > aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...
> >

> > I also lost the sound output, although not all. I can play a ".au" file
> > directly to the /dev/audio device (cat file.au > /dev/audio) and I hear
> > it. I'm working on finding the solution. I've posted about it here but
> > haven't had any luck. It's something with the "pcm" devices (whatever
> > they are), I think. I've never fiddled with anything audio before so
> > it's all new to me.
>
> Did you try disabling pulseaudio to see if that helps?
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> L. Friedman netllama@gmail.com
> LlamaLand https://netllama.linux-sxs.org

Pulseaudio is not installed. I only have pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
installed for the libflashsupport package. And this has been there for
months.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Stefan Kuhlemann

hackob schrieb:

Hi,

After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.

Any idea?, tks.

Hackob.

Same problem here.

After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured
out, that this is a permission-problem (with root I had sound).

chmod 666 /dev/dsp
and
chmod 666 /dev/mixer

gives me back the sound when working as normal user.

Sadly, I have to set those permissions after every reboot.... *grrrr*

Also:
chgrp'ing the /dev/dps and /dev/mixer to 'users' (being with my account
in the group useres of course) and chmod'ing them to 660 didn't help.....

So...

- How could I set /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to '666-permission' permanent?
- And is there a possible security-risk in doing so?

Thanks for any help in advance

Stefan

Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Feb 1, 2008 9:59 AM, Stefan Kuhlemann <kuhlemann@nefkom.net> wrote:
> hackob schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> > AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> > Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.
> >
> > Any idea?, tks.
> >
> > Hackob.
> >

> Same problem here.
>
> After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured
> out, that this is a permission-problem (with root I had sound).
>
> chmod 666 /dev/dsp
> and
> chmod 666 /dev/mixer
>
> gives me back the sound when working as normal user.
>
> Sadly, I have to set those permissions after every reboot.... *grrrr*
>
> Also:
> chgrp'ing the /dev/dps and /dev/mixer to 'users' (being with my account
> in the group useres of course) and chmod'ing them to 660 didn't help.....
>
> So...
>
> - How could I set /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to '666-permission' permanent?

udev should be doing this. I guess you could just hack the chmod into
/etc/rc.local as a temporary workaround.

> - And is there a possible security-risk in doing so?

other than having random users pushing stuff to your speakers, i doubt it.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Stefan Kuhlemann

hackob schrieb:

Hi,

After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.

Any idea?, tks.

Hackob.

Same problem here.

After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured

[...]

So...

- How could I set /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to '666-permission' permanent?

udev should be doing this. I guess you could just hack the chmod into
/etc/rc.local as a temporary workaround.

Yes, that should do it :-)
But it would be nice to set those permissions permanently. Anybody with
a hint out there?
How do I set permissions for /dev/[whatever] which aren't lost after a
reboot?

Stefan

Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Feb 1, 2008 11:18 AM, Stefan Kuhlemann <kuhlemann@nefkom.net> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman schrieb:

> >> Same problem here.
> >>
> >> After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured
> >>

> [...]
> >> So...
> >>
> >> - How could I set /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to '666-permission' permanent?
> >>

> > udev should be doing this. I guess you could just hack the chmod into
> > /etc/rc.local as a temporary workaround.
> >

> Yes, that should do it :-)
> But it would be nice to set those permissions permanently. Anybody with
> a hint out there?
> How do I set permissions for /dev/[whatever] which aren't lost after a
> reboot?

udev rules do that, i believe.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Phil Meyer

hackob schrieb:

[...]

This is what console.perms is for.

It may be that additional items may need to be added to console.perms
upstream, but for now you can easily add your own.

You can edit /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms or add a new
definition file into that directory.

The difference between console.perms and udev is largely a matter of
responsibility.
When do things need to happen? If it needs to happen at boot time,
think udev. If it needs to happen when a user logs in, then think
console.perms.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
hackob

El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 12:22 -0500, Mark C. Allman escribió:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:51 -0600, hackob wrote:
> > El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 10:45 -0600, hackob escribió:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> > > AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> > > Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't say that the kernel versión is
> > kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.
> > >
> > > Any idea?, tks.
> > >
> > > Hackob.
> > >

> Do you have the Alsa apps such as aplay, arecord, amixer, etc.,
> installed? If so, type "aplay -l" and see if any soundcards are found.
> This is what I get:
> [mcallman@prez doc]$ aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

Mark,

This is the output of aplay -l

[hackob@simon ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: Phone [2-in-1 Phone], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Modem [Intel ICH5 Modem], device 0: Intel ICH - Modem [Intel
ICH5 Modem - Modem]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

As you can see, there is no sound card.

Hackob.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
hackob

El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 18:59 +0100, Stefan Kuhlemann escribió:
> hackob schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> > AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> > Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.
> >
> > Any idea?, tks.
> >
> > Hackob.
> >

> Same problem here.
>
> After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured
> out, that this is a permission-problem (with root I had sound).
>
> chmod 666 /dev/dsp
> and
> chmod 666 /dev/mixer

This didn't solve my problem!

[hackob@simon ~]$ id
uid=500(hackob) gid=500(hackob) grupos=100(users),500(hackob)
[hackob@simon ~]$ ll /dev/mixer /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw-+ 1 root users 14, 3 feb 1 10:22 /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw-+ 1 root users 14, 0 feb 1 10:22 /dev/mixer
[hackob@simon ~]$

Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 AM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:56 -0600, hackob wrote:
> El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 12:22 -0500, Mark C. Allman escribió:

> > > Sorry, I didn't say that the kernel versión is
> > > kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.

> > Do you have the Alsa apps such as aplay, arecord, amixer, etc.,
> > installed? If so, type "aplay -l" and see if any soundcards are found.
> > This is what I get:
> > [mcallman@prez doc]$ aplay -l
> > aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...
> >

> Mark,
>
> This is the output of aplay -l
>
> [hackob@simon ~]$ aplay -l
> card 0: Phone [2-in-1 Phone], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: Modem [Intel ICH5 Modem], device 0: Intel ICH - Modem [Intel
> ICH5 Modem - Modem]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> As you can see, there is no sound card.
>
> Hackob.
>

> > I also lost the sound output, although not all. I can play a ".au" file
> > directly to the /dev/audio device (cat file.au > /dev/audio) and I hear
> > it. I'm working on finding the solution. I've posted about it here but
> > haven't had any luck. It's something with the "pcm" devices (whatever
> > they are), I think. I've never fiddled with anything audio before so
> > it's all new to me.

Actually, you have two sound cards: card 0 (2-in-1 Phone) and card 1
(Intel ICH5 Modem). If you didn't have any sound cards then you'd see
the error I'm getting. Is a "2-in-1 Phone" device actually a device to
play audio? If so, then run the Soundcard Detection applet (menu System
-> Administration -> Soundcard detection), select your device, and click
the "Play" button (click "repeat" to keep it playing). If you hear the
guitar playing then your problem is just a device permissions issue.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 AM
hackob

El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 20:46 -0500, Mark C. Allman escribió:
> Actually, you have two sound cards: card 0 (2-in-1 Phone) and card 1
> (Intel ICH5 Modem). If you didn't have any sound cards then you'd see
> the error I'm getting. Is a "2-in-1 Phone" device actually a device to
> play audio? If so, then run the Soundcard Detection applet (menu System

Mark, you gave me a sign that I didn't see, the 2-in-1 Phone is a device
that let me use a standard phone with skype, I just unplug it and all
was solved.

Nothing related with recent kernel update it was only a coincidence,
sorry fedora .

Hackob.