Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 AM
"Jason E. High"

Default Can't mount USB drive - new thread this time

Okay, here's a new thread, since I unwittingly hijacked the last one.

When I insert a USB drive in F14, it shows up in the Places listing but
a window pops up that says 'Can't mount drive. Not Authorized.'

I have some stuff that I'm trying to copy to the SD card of my Droid and
I would really like this to work.

As a side note, I've been using Linux since Redhat 5.2. I switched to
Ubuntu a few years ago for precisely this reason: the little things just
"worked." I really like Fedora and would really like to use it, but I
want an operating system that I can play with if I want to, not an
operating system that forces me to a command line every ten minutes
because something simple didn't work. </rant>
--
Jason E. High

Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 AM
stan

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:23:13 -0400
> "Jason E. High" <jason.high@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I insert a USB drive in F14, it shows up in the Places listing
> but a window pops up that says 'Can't mount drive. Not Authorized.'

Sounds like a permissions problem. Have you got SELinux enabled? If
you fire up SELinux troubleshooter, does it show any denials related
to this?

This is a command line again, but can you see anything additional
in /var/log/messages when it doesn't work.

less /var/log/messages
with superuser privileges, sudo or su or logged in as root. q to quit.

> As a side note, I've been using Linux since Redhat 5.2. I switched to
> Ubuntu a few years ago for precisely this reason: the little things
> just "worked." I really like Fedora and would really like to use it,
> but I want an operating system that I can play with if I want to, not
> an operating system that forces me to a command line every ten minutes
> because something simple didn't work. </rant>

It might be that Fedora isn't the OS for you. Mostly it meets your
requirement of things just working, but your comment made me think
about my experience, and, you're right. There have been little things
that needed tweaking in order to make them right.

I'm not very familiar with Macs, but one of the things I hear people
say, and read them writing, is that it does meet your criteria. Maybe
that's your promised land. ;-)

Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
"Jason E. High"

On 11/04/2010 12:04 AM, stan wrote:

> Sounds like a permissions problem. Have you got SELinux enabled? If
> you fire up SELinux troubleshooter, does it show any denials related
> to this?
>
> This is a command line again, but can you see anything additional
> in /var/log/messages when it doesn't work.
>
> less /var/log/messages
> with superuser privileges, sudo or su or logged in as root. q to quit.

I rebooted the machine and my USB drive is now working the way that it's
supposed to. If it happens again, though, I'll take a look in /var/log
and see what I can see, as they say.

> It might be that Fedora isn't the OS for you. Mostly it meets your
> requirement of things just working, but your comment made me think
> about my experience, and, you're right. There have been little things
> that needed tweaking in order to make them right.
>
> I'm not very familiar with Macs, but one of the things I hear people
> say, and read them writing, is that it does meet your criteria. Maybe
> that's your promised land. ;-)

You will not catch me moving over to Macs any time soon. Again, I've
been using Linux for a very long time, so the issue isn't what my own
personal preferences are: I've had other options and have always come
back to Linux for a myriad of reasons that I won't bother with here as
you will all probably agree with all of them.

I guess the point that I was making is that if the goal is to get more
people to migrate to Linux, the little things have to work. There was a
time when I revelled in having to stay up all night to get my video card
working by playing with settings editing XF86Config in vi. Most people
want their computer to actually work, though, and that means that the
little things have to work, too.

Thanks and cheers,
Jason