Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Colin Paul Adams

Default Can't install Fedora 14 on MacBook Air

The initial installation menu comes up ok. I select the default option
(install or upgrade). A lot of messages flash by (about two screens
worth), and then i see something like:

running /sbin/loader
check hardware
waiting for hardware

then it clears the screen, and the DVD drive runs for several minutes
before eventually stopping. I never see anything else except the blank
screen.

Any suggestions?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM
M A Young

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

> The initial installation menu comes up ok. I select the default option
> (install or upgrade). A lot of messages flash by (about two screens
> worth), and then i see something like:
>
> running /sbin/loader
> check hardware
> waiting for hardware
>
> then it clears the screen, and the DVD drive runs for several minutes
> before eventually stopping. I never see anything else except the blank
> screen.

I had the blank screen problem when trying to upgarde , and ended up
feeding the boot line various options like nofb nomodeset and text though
I don't know how much help they were. It worked some of the time, possibly
not related to the options I was trying (I had a few attempts due to other
reasons), and I did eventually get the upgrade to work but it might have
been luck.

It might be worth starting with
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Installation_Guide/ch09s02.html
which I was trying to follow but I was doing it from memory and I think
with hindsight I was scrambling some of the options.

Michael Young

Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Manuel Escudero

2010/11/3 M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk>

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

> The initial installation menu comes up ok. I select the default option

> (install or upgrade). A lot of messages flash by (about two screens

> worth), and then i see something like:

> running /sbin/loader

> check hardware

> waiting for hardware

> then it clears the screen, and the DVD drive runs for several minutes

> before eventually stopping. I never see anything else except the blank

> screen.

I had the blank screen problem when trying to upgarde , and ended up

feeding the boot line various options like nofb nomodeset and text though

I don't know how much help they were. It worked some of the time, possibly

not related to the options I was trying (I had a few attempts due to other

reasons), and I did eventually get the upgrade to work but it might have

been luck.

It might be worth starting with

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Installation_Guide/ch09s02.html

which I was trying to follow but I was doing it from memory and I think

with hindsight I was scrambling some of the options.

* * * *Michael Young

Try with the LiveCD's
--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052

@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31* 1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM
mgt

You can try with acpi=off option at boot screen.

Cheers!

The initial installation menu comes up ok. I select the default option

(install or upgrade). A lot of messages flash by (about two screens

worth), and then i see something like:

running /sbin/loader

check hardware

waiting for hardware

then it clears the screen, and the DVD drive runs for several minutes

before eventually stopping. I never see anything else except the blank

screen.

Any suggestions?

--

Colin Adams

Preston Lancashire

() *ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

/ *www.asciiribbon.org * - against proprietary attachments

mgt

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Colin Paul Adams

M> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> The initial installation menu comes up ok. I select the default
>> option (install or upgrade). A lot of messages flash by (about
>> two screens worth), and then i see something like:
>>
>> running /sbin/loader check hardware waiting for hardware
>>
>> then it clears the screen, and the DVD drive runs for several
>> minutes before eventually stopping. I never see anything else
>> except the blank screen.

M> I had the blank screen problem when trying to upgarde , and ended
M> up feeding the boot line various options like nofb nomodeset and
M> text though I don't know how much help they were. It worked some
M> of the time, possibly not related to the options I was trying (I
M> had a few attempts due to other reasons), and I did eventually
M> get the upgrade to work but it might have been luck.

None of these worked, nor the suggestion of using acpi=off.

However the option of installing with basic video driver is working (no
graphical install). I'll see how it goes. I don't want to try the live
CD suggestion unless all else fails.

Thanks everyone for your help.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Chris Smart

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Colin Paul Adams
<colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Probably a poor suggestion, but have you tried the efidisk.img
installer? I'm not sure if it does some extra hardware stuff at boot
(because there's no BIOS), but it definitely does at the end. Anyway,
it might help. I've had good luck with it on Macs.

-c

Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Chris> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Colin Paul Adams
Chris> <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Chris> Probably a poor suggestion, but have you tried the
Chris> efidisk.img installer? I'm not sure if it does some extra
Chris> hardware stuff at boot (because there's no BIOS), but it
Chris> definitely does at the end. Anyway, it might help. I've had
Chris> good luck with it on Macs.

How does one try it?

I've just re-booted after completing the installation, and I've got the
flashing folder with ? problem again. I must search the archives to
remember how to fix this - I think it was you who told me how.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Chris> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Colin Paul Adams
Chris> <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Chris> Probably a poor suggestion, but have you tried the
Chris> efidisk.img installer? I'm not sure if it does some extra
Chris> hardware stuff at boot (because there's no BIOS), but it
Chris> definitely does at the end. Anyway, it might help. I've had
Chris> good luck with it on Macs.

Colin> How does one try it?

Colin> I've just re-booted after completing the installation, and
Colin> I've got the flashing folder with ? problem again. I must
Colin> search the archives to remember how to fix this -

It wasn't on this list at all.

It was here (for any others trying the same thing):

http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@redhat.com/msg59986.html
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Colin Paul Adams

Chris> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Colin Paul Adams
Chris> <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Chris> Probably a poor suggestion, but have you tried the
Chris> efidisk.img installer? I'm not sure if it does some extra
Chris> hardware stuff at boot (because there's no BIOS), but it
Chris> definitely does at the end. Anyway, it might help. I've had
Chris> good luck with it on Macs.

Colin> How does one try it?

Colin> I've just re-booted after completing the installation, and
Colin> I've got the flashing folder with ? problem again. I must
Colin> search the archives to remember how to fix this -

Colin> It wasn't on this list at all.

Colin> It was here (for any others trying the same thing):

Colin> http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@redhat.com/msg59986.html

I'm SO stupid! I even blogged about it for future reference:

http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/879

Let's see if I can get wifi working now (it's been broken since
September, and I'm hpoing a new install will sort out the problems).
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire