Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Brian Ericson

Default f14 gnome unusable

Just upgraded to f14.

The upgrade itself was smooth (thanks!), but Gnome's (UI) performance
has completely and utterly tanked. If I open a terminal and a second
tab in the terminal, switching between tabs takes upwards of 4 seconds.
Same thing with FireFox tabs (Chrome/Chrome tabs are fine, though). The
blue highlighting of Gnome menus is incapable of following even a
slow-moving mouse, alt-tab takes forever, and repainting minimized
windows is awful.

Basically, I got better GUI performance out of f13 with all my CPUs and
drives pegged than I'm getting now on an idle system.

Interestingly, KDE isn't impacted at all by any of this and even Gnome
apps (like terminal) are snappy. I even went so far as to create a new
user to see if some f13 Gnome configuration is the culprit, but the new
user has exactly the same issues.

Has anyone else encountered this? Anyone know what to do to fix it?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM
stan

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:42:03 -0500
Brian Ericson <bericson@ptc.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else encountered this? Anyone know what to do to fix it?

When I fresh installed F14, there were delays such as you mention on
the gui with Gnome. I checked top and iotop to see what was holding
up the works. And it turned out there were background jobs running.
Most of those will complete if you give them an overnight, and you
should only hit problems when they are updating after that.

I changed the cron jobs so they would always defer to the gui, and
things are OK now. Used ionice as it seemed to be mostly io causing the
problem.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
"Jason E. High"

Old 11-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Brian Ericson

Thanks for the reply! If only... It's acting as though it's under
significant load, but top/iotop/etc. show a completely idle system.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
stan

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:43:35 -0500
> Brian Ericson <bericson@ptc.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply! If only... It's acting as though it's under
> significant load, but top/iotop/etc. show a completely idle system.

That sounds like it is internally spinning its wheels. It should show
up in top though as CPU cycles being spent uselessly.

What could slow down things without using CPU cycles?

Contention on the hardware bus? Try unplugging and replugging your
keyboard and mouse.

How about overheating? Is it possible the system is now slowing down
the CPU significantly because it is too hot?

I'm at a loss, especially since KDE functions normally and some
functions in Gnome work fine.

Certainly something strange going on. Are you fully updated to the
latest packages?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Brian Ericson

To test that, I compared my W510 against a friend's W500 (which had also
been upgraded). We started "top" and then selected
"System->Preferences" and using the down-arrow key to cycle through the
menu options. "top" showed XOrg topping my CPU at up to 99%, his CPU
maybe hit 10% at one point. You are correct in that when Gnome is doing
whatever-it-is-that-is-slow, XOrg is taking up significantly more CPU
than it does on a normal system.

The W510 has an nVidia Quadro FX 880M, which is "fairly" new and I've
been using the nvidia drivers (at the native resolution of 1920x1080).
Switching to nouveau (which chose 1024x768) resulted in normal behavior
(everything became snappy again).

So, it appears there's something "up" with nVidia/Gnome/XOrg.

I wonder if anyone else using gnome + nvidia on a machine with an 880M
would also experience the same annoying. behavior...

Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/04/2010 04:49 AM, Brian Ericson wrote:
> I wonder if anyone else using gnome + nvidia on a machine with an 880M
> would also experience the same annoying. behavior...
>
> Thoughts?

Try this. Create another user and login and see if it works better?
You might have some old configuration files creating problems.

Rahul

Old 11-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Mark Eggers

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:19:27 -0500, Brian Ericson wrote:

> To test that, I compared my W510 against a friend's W500 (which had also
> been upgraded). We started "top" and then selected
> "System->Preferences" and using the down-arrow key to cycle through the
> menu options. "top" showed XOrg topping my CPU at up to 99%, his CPU
> maybe hit 10% at one point. You are correct in that when Gnome is doing
> whatever-it-is-that-is-slow, XOrg is taking up significantly more CPU
> than it does on a normal system.
>
> The W510 has an nVidia Quadro FX 880M, which is "fairly" new and I've
> been using the nvidia drivers (at the native resolution of 1920x1080).
> Switching to nouveau (which chose 1024x768) resulted in normal behavior
> (everything became snappy again).
>
> So, it appears there's something "up" with nVidia/Gnome/XOrg.
>
> I wonder if anyone else using gnome + nvidia on a machine with an 880M
> would also experience the same annoying. behavior...

I have an older card (OK, really old) 7600GS that I overclock in order to
get reasonable performance. A few things that I've noted:

Upgrading to the latest drivers (260.19.12) causes all sorts of problems.
Games compiled with OpenGL will fault (segmentation fault), and I cannot
overclock with that version of the driver. Running 256.53 solves those
problems (can overclock, game does not segfault).

I've noticed about a 5 percent performance loss via glxgears in going
from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14. I've not done the extensive graphics test
(specviewperf), but performance does "feel" slower.

I've also noticed some performance issues when running a GtK application
such as pan under WindowMaker. When I switch virtual desktops away from
the one containing pan and then back, I see a momentary spike in CPU and
a pause while the window refreshes.

I haven't done a lot of work in KDE yet, so I don't know what (if any)
performance impact exists.

I'm running Samsung SyncMaster at 1680x1050x24 with 96x96 resolution. The
monitor is attached via a digital cable.

Looks like there is a performance regression, although nothing like what
you're experiencing. I also see that Xorg is using more memory than I
remember it using in Fedora 13.

What version of the NVidia driver are you using?

. . . . just my two cents

/mde/

Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Brian Ericson

Quoting the relevant bit:
Update - apparently this issue is related to the GTK theme in use. The
default (Fedora, or Clearlooks, or a few others) results in this slow
behaviour. Other themes, like Nodoka and a few others perform fine.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
"Steve Berg"

> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=253668
>
> Quoting the relevant bit:
> Update - apparently this issue is related to the GTK theme in use. The
> default (Fedora, or Clearlooks, or a few others) results in this slow
> behaviour. Other themes, like Nodoka and a few others perform fine.

Seeing the same slowdown on three different F14 installs here. The Nimbus
themes seem to perform normally.

--
* Stephen Berg *
* sberg@mississippi.com *