-   -   No sound after last kernel update. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/44747-no-sound-after-last-kernel-update.html)

hackob 02-01-2008 03:45 PM

No sound after last kernel update.

Hi,

After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.

Any idea?, tks.

Hackob.

hackob 02-01-2008 03:51 PM

El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 10:45 -0600, hackob escribió:
> Hi,
>
> After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.

Sorry, I didn't say that the kernel versión is
kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.

"Mark C. Allman" 02-01-2008 04:22 PM

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:51 -0600, hackob wrote:
> El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 10:45 -0600, hackob escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> > AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> > Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.
>
> Sorry, I didn't say that the kernel versión is
> kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.
> >
> > Any idea?, tks.
> >
> > Hackob.

Do you have the Alsa apps such as aplay, arecord, amixer, etc.,
installed? If so, type "aplay -l" and see if any soundcards are found.
This is what I get:
[mcallman@prez doc]$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

I also lost the sound output, although not all. I can play a ".au" file
directly to the /dev/audio device (cat file.au > /dev/audio) and I hear
it. I'm working on finding the solution. I've posted about it here but
haven't had any luck. It's something with the "pcm" devices (whatever
they are), I think. I've never fiddled with anything audio before so
it's all new to me.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

"Lonni J Friedman" 02-01-2008 04:28 PM

On Feb 1, 2008 9:22 AM, Mark C. Allman <mcallman@allmanpc.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:51 -0600, hackob wrote:
> > El vie, 01-02-2008 a las 10:45 -0600, hackob escribió:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> > > AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> > > Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't say that the kernel versión is
> > kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.
> > >
> > > Any idea?, tks.
> > >
> > > Hackob.
> > >

> Do you have the Alsa apps such as aplay, arecord, amixer, etc.,
> installed? If so, type "aplay -l" and see if any soundcards are found.
> This is what I get:
> [mcallman@prez doc]$ aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...
>

> I also lost the sound output, although not all. I can play a ".au" file
> directly to the /dev/audio device (cat file.au > /dev/audio) and I hear
> it. I'm working on finding the solution. I've posted about it here but
> haven't had any luck. It's something with the "pcm" devices (whatever
> they are), I think. I've never fiddled with anything audio before so
> it's all new to me.

Did you try disabling pulseaudio to see if that helps?