Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Paolo Galtieri

Default Why is Fedora continuing to propagate FF 3.5 on F12?

F12 updated FF to version 3.5.15, however, when you start up FF on F12
it tells you that FF 3.5 is out of date and you should instead download
version 3.6.

If FF 3.5 is out of date why continue to update it? Why not replace it
with version 3.6?

Paolo

Old 10-31-2010, 03:58 AM
David

On 10/30/2010 11:51 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> F12 updated FF to version 3.5.15, however, when you start up FF on F12
> it tells you that FF 3.5 is out of date and you should instead download
> version 3.6.
>
> If FF 3.5 is out of date why continue to update it? Why not replace it
> with version 3.6?

Since Fedora 12 is EOL in one month perhaps that would be more work than
can be justified?

You could update your system to Fedora 13. Or wait until next week and
update to Fedora 14.
--

David

Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Chris Smart

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> F12 updated FF to version 3.5.15, however, when you start up FF on F12
> it tells you that FF 3.5 is out of date and you should instead download
> version 3.6.

This is Firefox's built-in update check and it's Mozilla trying to get
you to download the newer release. Seeing as this is Linux and the
updates are handled by the package manager, perhaps these checks
should be turned off by default?

> If FF 3.5 is out of date why continue to update it? *Why not replace it
> with version 3.6?

It's not the latest product, but it's not out of date - it's still
supported by Mozilla and in fact security update 3.5.15 was just
released.

-c

Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/01/2010 04:20 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> F12 updated FF to version 3.5.15, however, when you start up FF on F12
>> it tells you that FF 3.5 is out of date and you should instead download
>> version 3.6.
> This is Firefox's built-in update check and it's Mozilla trying to get
> you to download the newer release. Seeing as this is Linux and the
> updates are handled by the package manager, perhaps these checks
> should be turned off by default?

Afaik, they already are by default turned off.

Rahul

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Chris Smart

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Afaik, they already are by default turned off.

Ahh, well there you go :-) Not sure why Paolo got that update warning
then, maybe there's a different setting for major versions, or maybe
it's his profile.

-c

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Paolo Galtieri

On 10/31/10 17:11, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Rahul Sundaram<metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Afaik, they already are by default turned off.
>
> Ahh, well there you go :-) Not sure why Paolo got that update warning
> then, maybe there's a different setting for major versions, or maybe
> it's his profile.
>
> -c
In my case firefox had crashed prior to doing the upgrade. When it
started up it asked me whether I wanted to restore my previous tabs, or
start a new session, and it was at this point that the warning appeared.

Paolo

Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Andrew Haley

On 11/01/2010 12:11 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Afaik, they already are by default turned off.
>
> Ahh, well there you go :-) Not sure why Paolo got that update warning
> then, maybe there's a different setting for major versions, or maybe
> it's his profile.

FWIW I got that warning too.

Andrew.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
dexter

On 31 October 2010 04:58, David <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 11:51 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> F12 updated FF to version 3.5.15, however, when you start up FF on F12
>> it tells you that FF 3.5 is out of date and you should instead download
>> version 3.6.
>>
>> If FF 3.5 is out of date why continue to update it? *Why not replace it
>> with version 3.6?

Well why don't you???
/me I'm using Firefox-4.0-b8pre this last 2 months in F12 and its very
very fast :-)
Security comes straight from mozilla & before any repo esp, now the
crazy updates policy is in force.
Don't know how! just ask here.

> Since Fedora 12 is EOL in one month perhaps that would be more work than
> can be justified?
>
> You could update your system to Fedora 13. Or wait until next week and
> update to Fedora 14.

Updating your whole OS just for a browser is hilarious when the source
is available :-)

...dex

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Chris Smart

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:42 AM, dexter <dex.mbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> /me I'm using Firefox-4.0-b8pre this last 2 months in F12 and its very
> very fast :-)
> Security comes straight from mozilla & before any repo esp, now the
> crazy updates policy is in force.
> Don't know how! just ask here.

Hey Dex,
In the updates you receive, does Mozilla provide an RPM, or is it a
tarball? (I figure it's installed automatically, but curious none the
less.)

Ta,
-c

Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 PM
suvayu ali

On 1 November 2010 16:07, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:
> In the updates you receive, does Mozilla provide an RPM, or is it a
> tarball?

tarball

--
Suvayu