Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 AM
john wendel

Default Why is Fedora continuing to propagate FF 3.5 on F12?

On 11/01/2010 10:42 AM, dexter wrote:
> On 31 October 2010 04:58, David<dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/30/2010 11:51 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>>> F12 updated FF to version 3.5.15, however, when you start up FF on F12
>>> it tells you that FF 3.5 is out of date and you should instead download
>>> version 3.6.
>>>
>>> If FF 3.5 is out of date why continue to update it? Why not replace it
>>> with version 3.6?
>
> Well why don't you???
> /me I'm using Firefox-4.0-b8pre this last 2 months in F12 and its very
> very fast :-)
> Security comes straight from mozilla& before any repo esp, now the
> crazy updates policy is in force.
> Don't know how! just ask here.
>

>> Since Fedora 12 is EOL in one month perhaps that would be more work than
>> can be justified?
>>
>> You could update your system to Fedora 13. Or wait until next week and
>> update to Fedora 14.
>
> Updating your whole OS just for a browser is hilarious when the source
> is available :-)
>
> ...dex

Just a little comment, you can install the Firefox beta tarball in a
private directory and keep the Fedora Firefox in place, just in case
you're leary of the "beta" status. These betas are very stable on my system.

Regards,

John

Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/02/2010 04:37 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:42 AM, dexter <dex.mbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>> /me I'm using Firefox-4.0-b8pre this last 2 months in F12 and its very
>> very fast :-)
>> Security comes straight from mozilla & before any repo esp, now the
>> crazy updates policy is in force.
>> Don't know how! just ask here.
> Hey Dex,
> In the updates you receive, does Mozilla provide an RPM, or is it a
> tarball? (I figure it's installed automatically, but curious none the
> less.)

If you want a packaged version, refer to

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firefox_4

Rahul