Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
John Minson

Default installing f8/hang at 'loading ata_piix' PROGRESS but now 'ata1.00 exception .... frozen'

after fighting with the 'loading ata_piix driver' issue I managed to get
fc8 installed via a usb dvd drive . the install went fine but now when I
boot off the hd (sata) I eventually get

ata1.00 exception emask 0x0 sactt serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

it then displays 'loading udev' and hangs

once again this problem (or some variant there of) has been reported
lots but no clear indication of what to do.

I keep seeing references to the 'libpata' module having issues

Jim Cornette wrote:

John Minson wrote:
Trying to install f8 on intel core 2 duo/sata hdd/dvd writer/shuttle
xpc .
The problem with the install 'hanging' at the 'loading ata_piix
driver' seems to be commonly reported but has several variants . My
situation is of the form

1) install 'stalls' at 'loading ata_piix driver' for a few minutes
2) install eventually asks from whence you want to install
3) seems the dvd drive we booted from is now 'lost'

Is there any info about what is causing this ? Is a bug or a feature
? Will it be addressed (perhaps it has been)?
I have seen some posts about various boot options helping the
situation but nothing has worked for me yet.

My next move is to boot from usb dvd and try installing .
After that I come to installing from the network.

Any help would be appreciated

I can give some information regarding what I have seen to cause
problems. One problem is with discs being burned on a DVD+R media
using a burner would fail in that way. I ended up taking that disk on
a DVD-R player and making an ISO of the disc. then burned another
disc on a computer that only could write to DVD+R discs, the target
computer and after transferring the iso file make a successful
recording from the target machine and proceeded afterward to
successfully upgrade the computer.
There was also another problem related to the DVD burner not being
recognized and it would report the CD/DVD as /media/disk. This sounds
like on a guess what is happening to you. I don't know if this is your
problem but it was fixed from reporting the DVD burner, USB in my case
and the burner worked on later Fedora release.

These situations may not be what is happening on your system. I am
just trying to put out some possibilities.

Jim

Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Mark Knoop

John Minson wrote:

after fighting with the 'loading ata_piix driver' issue I managed to get
fc8 installed via a usb dvd drive . the install went fine but now when I
boot off the hd (sata) I eventually get

ata1.00 exception emask 0x0 sactt serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

it then displays 'loading udev' and hangs

once again this problem (or some variant there of) has been reported
lots but no clear indication of what to do.

I keep seeing references to the 'libpata' module having issues

I had similar issues (what is your hardware?) which I finally solved by
telling the installer which modules to load instead of relying on the
probe. I also have to use the 'noirqdebug' because of irq problems with
my motherboard bios.

Try appending the following to your install line:

module=ata_piix module=pata_jmicron module=ata_generic noirqdebug

and:

noirqdebug

to the kernel line in grub.
--
Mark Knoop

Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Jim Cornette

John Minson wrote:

after fighting with the 'loading ata_piix driver' issue I managed to get
fc8 installed via a usb dvd drive . the install went fine but now when I
boot off the hd (sata) I eventually get

ata1.00 exception emask 0x0 sactt serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

it then displays 'loading udev' and hangs

once again this problem (or some variant there of) has been reported
lots but no clear indication of what to do.

I keep seeing references to the 'libpata' module having issues

It's great that the DVD got you further through the process. Apparently
the Distribution linked below has a solution and a kernel available to
remove the error.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=275504

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ide/26012

According to the comment that led to the above link, it is fixed in the
next kernel series 2.6.24.

The next release is up to that version kernel. I'm not sure if later
kernels would have a backported fix in it or not. The changelog shows
these for a search for ata. The bugs should be found in bugzilla.

Jim
---

rpm -q --changelog kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.i686 |grep ata
- libata: fix AHCI controller reset (#411171)
- libata: fix ATAPI tape drives (#394961)
- libata: allow short SCSI commands for ATAPI devices
- Fix libata handling of IO ready test (#389971)
- libata: fix resume on some systems
- libata: fix pata_serverworks with some drive combinations
- Fix completely broken sata_sis libata driver (#365331)
- nfs: fix writeback race causing data corruption
- direct-io: fix return of stale data after DIO write
- md/raid5: fix data corruption in some failure cases
- Use upstream libata DMA disable patch
(libata.dma parameter replaces libata.pata_dma)
- leave boot option as "libata.pata_dma" for now
- libata: change boot option name to "libata.dma"
- add option to disable libata PATA DMA
- Terminate list in ata-piix
- add Intel ICH8M (Santa Rosa) PCI ID to ata_piix driver
- As the x86-64 kernel is now relocatable, -kdump can go.

--
Success is a journey, not a destination.