Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Mitsuho Iizuka

Default Questions re samba/cifs stuff in general

Hi,

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Questions re samba/cifs stuff in general
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:33:44 -0500

> >> I would like to mount it automatically.
> >> So, is it possible to put those lines into /etc/fstab as follows ?
> >>
> >> //server/share /mountpoint cifs user=workgroup/username%password 0 0
> >
> >of course, but following up on Rick's point:
> >/etc/fstab is readable by all.
> >
> >I would do this instead:
> >
> >//server/share /mountpoint cifs
> >domain=workgroup,credentials=/root/samba.cred 0 0
> >
> >and in the /root/samba.cred file you would have
> >username=bob
> >password=password
> >
> >or something like that.
>
> Humm, yes I see. Also that for more than one share, which may have different
> usernames & passwords, one would need a samba.cred per share. Probably best
> to rename that to the shares alias in the hosts file, in my case shop.cred

I did above 2 tries without samba.cred option. 1) /etc/fstab and
2) rc.local. 1) had no effect. I could not find any win filesystem
under the /mnt directry. 2) made Fedora into forever loop
at startup, asking password in the character screen. Fedora need
rescue CD. So I guess samba.cred option might not be solution.
Anyway I will study them.

Regards,
// M.Iizuka