Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Ric Moore

Default Playing DVD interfers with modem?

When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
or VLC is perfect.

So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
session?? Thanx! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Rick Stevens

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
> Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
> gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
> tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
> That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
> or VLC is perfect.

Uh, are the modem and the IDE port the DVD sharing an IRQ or something?

> So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
> streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
> session??

I can think of two things at least...the sharing of an IRQ or some other
hardware semaphore or simply the load put on the CPU by a soft modem.
However, with an AMD 3200, I don't think that's the issue.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 09:59 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
> > Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
> > gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
> > tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
> > That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
> > or VLC is perfect.
>
> Uh, are the modem and the IDE port the DVD sharing an IRQ or something?
>
> > So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
> > streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
> > session??
>
> I can think of two things at least...the sharing of an IRQ or some other
> hardware semaphore or simply the load put on the CPU by a soft modem.
> However, with an AMD 3200, I don't think that's the issue.

Lordy Rick, I'm an old BBS sysop from back when. I have a RS Robotics
external with all the bells and whistles in hardware, so I'm connected
only by a serial cable. I'm gonna check out your suggestion about the
IRQ though. I sure miss setting pin jumpers. Devices generally stayed
where you put 'em, IRQ wise. Here's /proc/interrupts

# more interrupts
CPU0
0: 181 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 21093 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 45395 IO-APIC-edge libata
15: 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
16: 986 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb1
17: 122468 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
18: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
19: 3 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb4
20: 71311 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata
21: 566805 IO-APIC-fasteoi ALi M5455, eth0
22: 1327729 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
NMI: 0
LOC: 2874529
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look?? Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-01-2008, 11:02 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 04:34:02PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 09:59 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
> > > Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
> > > gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
> > > tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
> > > That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
> > > or VLC is perfect.
> >
> > Uh, are the modem and the IDE port the DVD sharing an IRQ or something?
> >
> > > So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
> > > streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
> > > session??
> >
> > I can think of two things at least...the sharing of an IRQ or some other
> > hardware semaphore or simply the load put on the CPU by a soft modem.
> > However, with an AMD 3200, I don't think that's the issue.
>
> Lordy Rick, I'm an old BBS sysop from back when. I have a RS Robotics
> external with all the bells and whistles in hardware, so I'm connected
> only by a serial cable. I'm gonna check out your suggestion about the
> IRQ though. I sure miss setting pin jumpers. Devices generally stayed
> where you put 'em, IRQ wise. Here's /proc/interrupts

back 8 or 10 years ago I was having major trouble with my modem
(an external Micorcom 33.6). spent MUCH time trying to troubleshoot it.
in the end it boiled down to being interrupt priority. the serial port
I was using it on was NOT at the top of the priority list, so it kept
being serviced insufficiently often. Caused major havoc with all
serial comms. Found a package, somewhere, whose name I dont' remember,
that poked into the kernel and changed interrupt priorities. Putting that
serial port near the top of hte list solved the entire problem.

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:34 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
> uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look??

BIOS settings for the serial port, perhaps? I've had motherboards where
you got some unpredictable behaviour if the serial port was set to auto,
but things worked as I expected if I preset the port to the usual IRQ.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

<----------------------[snip]--------------->

I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look?? Ric

One thing I have noticed is that the IRQs will not show up unless
something is actually using the device. For serial ports, the IRQ
will not show up until something opens the port. Something on the
line of if there isn't anything that is going to process it, the IRQ
is disabled, and does not show up in the list.

I don't know if it will help, but you may want to check with
setserial to see if it is detecting the correct UART type. You can
also try adjusting the FIFO settings. If the driver is treating the
UART as if it does not have a FIFO, or if the FIFO settings are
wrong, then the serial port will generate too many interrupts. It is
possible that it is generating one interrupt per character
sent/received.

Mikkel

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Rick Stevens

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:34 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 09:59 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
> > > Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
> > > gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
> > > tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
> > > That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
> > > or VLC is perfect.
> >
> > Uh, are the modem and the IDE port the DVD sharing an IRQ or something?
> >
> > > So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
> > > streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
> > > session??
> >
> > I can think of two things at least...the sharing of an IRQ or some other
> > hardware semaphore or simply the load put on the CPU by a soft modem.
> > However, with an AMD 3200, I don't think that's the issue.
>
> Lordy Rick, I'm an old BBS sysop from back when. I have a RS Robotics
> external with all the bells and whistles in hardware, so I'm connected
> only by a serial cable. I'm gonna check out your suggestion about the
> IRQ though. I sure miss setting pin jumpers. Devices generally stayed
> where you put 'em, IRQ wise. Here's /proc/interrupts
>
> # more interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 181 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 21093 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
> 8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
> 12: 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 14: 45395 IO-APIC-edge libata
> 15: 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
> 16: 986 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb1
> 17: 122468 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
> 18: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
> 19: 3 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb4
> 20: 71311 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata
> 21: 566805 IO-APIC-fasteoi ALi M5455, eth0
> 22: 1327729 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 2874529
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0
>
> I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
> uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look?? Ric

The IRQ won't show up unless something is on the serial port or using
it. For example, my machine shows this normally:

0: 1668 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 163398 IO-APIC-edge i8042
6: 6 IO-APIC-edge floppy

However, if I "agetty -L 9600 ttyS0", it shows this:

0: 1668 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 163146 IO-APIC-edge i8042
4: 25 IO-APIC-edge serial
6: 6 IO-APIC-edge floppy

So, you need to look at it when the modem's active (or you've spawned
something like agetty on it).

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 16:20 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > Lordy Rick, I'm an old BBS sysop from back when. I have a RS Robotics
> > external with all the bells and whistles in hardware, so I'm connected
> > only by a serial cable. I'm gonna check out your suggestion about the
> > IRQ though. I sure miss setting pin jumpers. Devices generally stayed
> > where you put 'em, IRQ wise. Here's /proc/interrupts
> >
> <----------------------[snip]--------------->
> >
> > I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
> > uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look?? Ric
> >
> One thing I have noticed is that the IRQs will not show up unless
> something is actually using the device. For serial ports, the IRQ
> will not show up until something opens the port. Something on the
> line of if there isn't anything that is going to process it, the IRQ
> is disabled, and does not show up in the list.
>
> I don't know if it will help, but you may want to check with
> setserial to see if it is detecting the correct UART type. You can
> also try adjusting the FIFO settings. If the driver is treating the
> UART as if it does not have a FIFO, or if the FIFO settings are
> wrong, then the serial port will generate too many interrupts. It is
> possible that it is generating one interrupt per character
> sent/received.

# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Looks good. Man, it's been awhile since back when I managed 4 modems
each on two machines for my BBS. That route was cheaper than those
specialty serial cards. Worked like a dream. Didn't have DvD's back then
either. Gonna try playing "Time Bandits" and send this email!

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:55 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> The IRQ won't show up unless something is on the serial port or using
> it. For example, my machine shows this normally:
>
> 0: 1668 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 163398 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 6: 6 IO-APIC-edge floppy
>
> However, if I "agetty -L 9600 ttyS0", it shows this:
>
> 0: 1668 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 163146 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 4: 25 IO-APIC-edge serial
> 6: 6 IO-APIC-edge floppy

You're right.
more /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 181 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 160311 IO-APIC-edge i8042
4: 13283349 IO-APIC-edge serial
7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 4875078 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 938575 IO-APIC-edge libata
15: 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
16: 64 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb1
17: 1194331 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
18: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
19: 3 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb4
20: 241245 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata
21: 3694679 IO-APIC-fasteoi ALi M5455, eth0
22: 17454806 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
NMI: 0
LOC: 47879444
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

I seem to dimly recall in the OLD DAYS, that serial was always on. But I
had a pile of uugettys spawned too. <grins> My last send went out, so
I'll try this one while the DvD is playing "Time Bandits" with the
horses crashing through the kids bedroom wall. I love this flick! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Ric Moore wrote:

# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Looks good. Man, it's been awhile since back when I managed 4 modems
each on two machines for my BBS. That route was cheaper than those
specialty serial cards. Worked like a dream. Didn't have DvD's back then
either. Gonna try playing "Time Bandits" and send this email!

You mean those 8 port cards with the funny cable ending in either 8
DB25 connectors or a breakout box? Digi<something>. I had 2 of them,
but they had 16450 UARTS. On one, the UARTS were socketed, so the
ones that had hi-speed modems got upgraded to 16550A's. They worked
under Linux as well. I ended up scrapping 14 2400 baud modems. A
couple of ports ended up connecting to another machine running
"door" games. Funny thing - you could not reliably connect two of
the ports together - they would drop data.

Mikkel