FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"
 
Default Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

I got tired of KMail because for some reason or another it was somehow
capturing and sending duplicates back into the IMAP server. Also, it seems
darn slow when new email messages comes through forcing me to wait several
minutes for scan completion before I can even browse the email message.

So, I decided to switch to another email client. I tried Thunderbird, but unfortunately
the IMAP implementation did not even list all of my sub folders as Kmail did so I gave
that one up in a hurry.

Finally, I decided to try out evolution since my M$ Exchange server is my primary
email server and evolution has the exchange connector builtin for it.

Everything seemed a cinch, that is I can connect and quicky see all my folders,
and other things such as to delete emails and so on. Fast and great!

Unfortunatly, I cannot send email messages through it.

I searched everywhere trying to figure out why I cannot send email messages
through evolution via the exchange connector, why, even when I looked into
the account setup, there is no "Outgoing Mail" tab for it - but reading various faqs
and so on, if I get this right, exchange connector is setup both for incomming and
outgoing, right?

I even tried to setup another account for outgoing mail like I did with Kmail;
one account for incoming (IMAP), the other account for outgoing via local
sendmail.

Any advice?

Thanks-
Dan


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Craig White
 
Default Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:23 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I got tired of KMail because for some reason or another it was somehow
> capturing and sending duplicates back into the IMAP server. Also, it seems
> darn slow when new email messages comes through forcing me to wait several
> minutes for scan completion before I can even browse the email message.
>
> So, I decided to switch to another email client. I tried Thunderbird, but unfortunately
> the IMAP implementation did not even list all of my sub folders as Kmail did so I gave
> that one up in a hurry.
>
> Finally, I decided to try out evolution since my M$ Exchange server is my primary
> email server and evolution has the exchange connector builtin for it.
>
> Everything seemed a cinch, that is I can connect and quicky see all my folders,
> and other things such as to delete emails and so on. Fast and great!
>
> Unfortunatly, I cannot send email messages through it.
>
> I searched everywhere trying to figure out why I cannot send email messages
> through evolution via the exchange connector, why, even when I looked into
> the account setup, there is no "Outgoing Mail" tab for it - but reading various faqs
> and so on, if I get this right, exchange connector is setup both for incomming and
> outgoing, right?
>
> I even tried to setup another account for outgoing mail like I did with Kmail;
> one account for incoming (IMAP), the other account for outgoing via local
> sendmail.
>
> Any advice?
----
exchange connector requires exchange server but neither kmail nor
thunderbird can make exchange connection so they use only standard imap
& smtp protocols with exchange server.

ditch the exchange connector on evolution and you should be fine

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 15:04 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:23 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > I got tired of KMail because for some reason or another it was somehow
> > capturing and sending duplicates back into the IMAP server. Also, it seems
> > darn slow when new email messages comes through forcing me to wait several
> > minutes for scan completion before I can even browse the email message.
> >
> > So, I decided to switch to another email client. I tried Thunderbird, but unfortunately
> > the IMAP implementation did not even list all of my sub folders as Kmail did so I gave
> > that one up in a hurry.
> >
> > Finally, I decided to try out evolution since my M$ Exchange server is my primary
> > email server and evolution has the exchange connector builtin for it.
> >
> > Everything seemed a cinch, that is I can connect and quicky see all my folders,
> > and other things such as to delete emails and so on. Fast and great!
> >
> > Unfortunatly, I cannot send email messages through it.
> >
> > I searched everywhere trying to figure out why I cannot send email messages
> > through evolution via the exchange connector, why, even when I looked into
> > the account setup, there is no "Outgoing Mail" tab for it - but reading various faqs
> > and so on, if I get this right, exchange connector is setup both for incomming and
> > outgoing, right?

That's correct. Any account using the Exchange-based accounts will be
sent through the Exchange server. There is no "outgoing" server option
(for that matter, there's no "incoming" server option...it's all
Exchange).

If you are unable to send mail via Exchange, it could be an
authentication issue. There's generally two, one for incoming and one
for outgoing (it'll ask you to authenticate when you click "Send"). If
you check the "Remember password" box before you enter that outgoing
authentication, it should work from then on.

> > I even tried to setup another account for outgoing mail like I did with Kmail;
> > one account for incoming (IMAP), the other account for outgoing via local
> > sendmail.
> >
> > Any advice?
> ----
> exchange connector requires exchange server but neither kmail nor
> thunderbird can make exchange connection so they use only standard imap
> & smtp protocols with exchange server.
>
> ditch the exchange connector on evolution and you should be fine
>
> Craig
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"
 
Default Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:27 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 15:04 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:23 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > > I searched everywhere trying to figure out why I cannot send email
> messages
> > > through evolution via the exchange connector, why, even when I
> looked into
> > > the account setup, there is no "Outgoing Mail" tab for it - but
> reading various faqs
> > > and so on, if I get this right, exchange connector is setup both
> for incomming and
> > > outgoing, right?
>
> That's correct. Any account using the Exchange-based accounts will
> be
> sent through the Exchange server. There is no "outgoing" server
> option
> (for that matter, there's no "incoming" server option...it's all
> Exchange).
>
> If you are unable to send mail via Exchange, it could be an
> authentication issue. There's generally two, one for incoming and
> one
> for outgoing (it'll ask you to authenticate when you click "Send").
> If
> you check the "Remember password" box before you enter that outgoing
> authentication, it should work from then on.
>

Yes, it did prompt me for a password for permission to enter and scan my
exchange account folders, and yes, I was prompted for a password when
replying to a message or sending a new message and I did fire off a test
message, watched it zip through "On This Computer"->outbox, but then
nothing happened. The message was never delivered.

I tried to look at the exchange logs to see if there was "permissions
denied" or even for a delivery attempt but gave up because I couldn't
remember how to find the logs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated perhaps a howto link or something?

Thanks
Dan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:18 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:27 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 15:04 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:23 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > > > I searched everywhere trying to figure out why I cannot send email
> > messages
> > > > through evolution via the exchange connector, why, even when I
> > looked into
> > > > the account setup, there is no "Outgoing Mail" tab for it - but
> > reading various faqs
> > > > and so on, if I get this right, exchange connector is setup both
> > for incomming and
> > > > outgoing, right?
> >
> > That's correct. Any account using the Exchange-based accounts will
> > be
> > sent through the Exchange server. There is no "outgoing" server
> > option
> > (for that matter, there's no "incoming" server option...it's all
> > Exchange).
> >
> > If you are unable to send mail via Exchange, it could be an
> > authentication issue. There's generally two, one for incoming and
> > one
> > for outgoing (it'll ask you to authenticate when you click "Send").
> > If
> > you check the "Remember password" box before you enter that outgoing
> > authentication, it should work from then on.
> >
>
> Yes, it did prompt me for a password for permission to enter and scan my
> exchange account folders, and yes, I was prompted for a password when
> replying to a message or sending a new message and I did fire off a test
> message, watched it zip through "On This Computer"->outbox, but then
> nothing happened. The message was never delivered.
>
> I tried to look at the exchange logs to see if there was "permissions
> denied" or even for a delivery attempt but gave up because I couldn't
> remember how to find the logs.

You need to bring up the "Event Viewer" on the Exchange server to see
that stuff.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated perhaps a howto link or something?

You see to have done everything correctly from the Fedora side of
things. It left the "Outbox" on Evolution, so it was handed to the
Exchange server. What happened after that I don't know. As I said, you
should look at the Event Viewer on the Windows machine to see what
happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- The gene pool could use a little chlorine. -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:18 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:27 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 15:04 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:23 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > > > I searched everywhere trying to figure out why I cannot send email
> > messages
> > > > through evolution via the exchange connector, why, even when I
> > looked into
> > > > the account setup, there is no "Outgoing Mail" tab for it - but
> > reading various faqs
> > > > and so on, if I get this right, exchange connector is setup both
> > for incomming and
> > > > outgoing, right?
> >
> > That's correct. Any account using the Exchange-based accounts will
> > be
> > sent through the Exchange server. There is no "outgoing" server
> > option
> > (for that matter, there's no "incoming" server option...it's all
> > Exchange).
> >
> > If you are unable to send mail via Exchange, it could be an
> > authentication issue. There's generally two, one for incoming and
> > one
> > for outgoing (it'll ask you to authenticate when you click "Send").
> > If
> > you check the "Remember password" box before you enter that outgoing
> > authentication, it should work from then on.
> >
>
> Yes, it did prompt me for a password for permission to enter and scan my
> exchange account folders, and yes, I was prompted for a password when
> replying to a message or sending a new message and I did fire off a test
> message, watched it zip through "On This Computer"->outbox, but then
> nothing happened. The message was never delivered.
>
> I tried to look at the exchange logs to see if there was "permissions
> denied" or even for a delivery attempt but gave up because I couldn't
> remember how to find the logs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated perhaps a howto link or something?
This is a wild shot into the air, but a shot ...nonetheless. Look in the
bottom left hand corner of your Evolution screen. Is there a red "X"
between two open connectors? If so, you're in local non-networking mode.
Just click on that and it should "plug in" (close) and then you're
connected to the network and mail will go out and mail will come in.
I've done that to know by now. I usually find it after a carpet chewing
session. Ric

--
================================================
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net <---down4now too
================================================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org