Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
"Brent Snow, Mr."

Default NIS Problems

*

Hi All,

*

***********
I have a Server with a quad-core Intel Xeon processor and 4 GB of RAM that I
just installed Fedora 8 X-64 on. I am trying to set it up to work with NIS from
a RHEL 4.0 Server. We just use NIS for auto mounting users homes.

*

***********
I can get everything configured properly, but I cannot manage to make auto
mount to work. I have read a lot of the info on NIS not working in Fedora 8,
but have not found a workaround/hack yet to make this work (if someone has a
work around please share).

*

***********
I also have a problem with gdmgreeter crashing that apparently this is related
to having NIS enabled on the system, and something about it starting NIS before
GDM is started.

*

***********
Thanks for any help you can provide

*

*********** Regards
Brent

Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:08 -0500, Brent Snow, Mr. wrote:

> I am trying to set it up to work with NIS from a RHEL 4.0 Server. We
> just use NIS for auto mounting users homes.
I am using NIS w/ automounted user homes w/ FC8 on server and client

> I can get everything configured properly, but I cannot
> manage to make auto mount to work. I have read a lot of the info on
> NIS not working in Fedora 8, but have not found a workaround/hack yet
> to make this work (if someone has a work around please share).

You would have to provide some more details to be able to help.

What exactly doesn't work? Any error messages in /var/log/messages?

> I also have a problem with gdmgreeter crashing that
> apparently this is related to having NIS enabled on the system, and
> something about it starting NIS before GDM is started.
NIS needs to be up before GDM, otherwise GDM can't work.

Ralf