Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
"francis keyes"

Default firefox, mplayerplug-in

Hi All,

I'm using Fedora 7 with firefox-2.0.0.10-2.fc7.
Whenever I try to download an mp3 the file opens in Firefox and starts playing instead of asking me what I want to do with the file.** i thought this might be the mplayerplug-in at work but removing the plugin with yum made no change.

I tried Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage but no file types are listed and I can't add any.

Does nyone know how to tell Firefox what to do with an mp3 file?

Thanks*

Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 31 January 2008 19:02, francis keyes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Fedora 7 with firefox-2.0.0.10-2.fc7.
> Whenever I try to download an mp3 the file opens in Firefox and starts
> playing instead of asking me what I want to do with the file. i thought
> this might be the mplayerplug-in at work but removing the plugin with yum
> made no change.
>
> I tried Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage but no file types
> are listed and I can't add any.
>
> Does nyone know how to tell Firefox what to do with an mp3 file?
>
> Thanks

Hi Francis. I think you'll find that Firefox will do much as any browser when
clicking on a music file. It will try and play it, rather than download it.

Looking at this site for example. http://www.musically.me.uk/updates.html

If I click on an mp3, Firefox starts to use mplayerplugin to play it. If you
right click on the file, you can use the "save link as" option, to save the
file to disk.

I use KDE, and Kget for downloads, and have installed the Flashgot plugin on
Firefox. The Flashgot plugin allows me to download files using KDE's Kget.
Again, if you right click on the mp3 file, and select "FlashGot Options", you
have an option to use Kget for the download, and can then decide where you
want to download the file to.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
"francis keyes"

Nigel,

Thanks for the info.* I usually right-click and choose "save link as" to download an mp3 that is linked directly.* However, I am trying to access the output of a web application at:
http://ckdu.dal.ca

I click the download button and the script redirects the web browser to an mp3, for instance:
http://ckdu.dal.ca/32/20080120.12.50-13.10.mp3

In the past this has worked fine, Firefox would ask me what I wanted to do with the mp3 file.

But since Fedora 7 it automatically plays the file...

I guess I should probably post this to a Firefox mailing list...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 31 January 2008 21:32, francis keyes wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Thanks for the info. I usually right-click and choose "save link as" to
> download an mp3 that is linked directly. However, I am trying to access
> the output of a web application at:
> http://ckdu.dal.ca
> I click the download button and the script redirects the web browser to an
> mp3, for instance:
> http://ckdu.dal.ca/32/20080120.12.50-13.10.mp3
>
> In the past this has worked fine, Firefox would ask me what I wanted to do
> with the mp3 file.
>
> But since Fedora 7 it automatically plays the file...
>
> I guess I should probably post this to a Firefox mailing list...

That's interesting. Indeed Firefox wants to just play the file when clicking
download (that's on 32kbps, as I'm on dialup) , and a right click doesn't
give the "save link as" option. I still get the Flashgot options, but
clicking on Kget does nothing. I tried the site with KDE's Konqueror, and
just left clicking on the download button. Here I get an options box to play
the file with Noatun, or Save as. Clicking on Save as takes me to Kget's
"Where do you want to save it to" window. Having decided where to put the
file, Kget is downloading the mp3 at the mo.

I'm trying this with Firefox on Archlinux, as I don't have Fedora 7 booted up
at the mo.

It almost looks like it's more to with the site, and it's willingness to work
with Firefox, as Konqueror is downloading the file ok.

Nigel.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 31 January 2008 22:51, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2008 21:32, francis keyes wrote:
> > Nigel,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I usually right-click and choose "save link as" to
> > download an mp3 that is linked directly. However, I am trying to access
> > the output of a web application at:
> > http://ckdu.dal.ca
> > I click the download button and the script redirects the web browser to
> > an mp3, for instance:
> > http://ckdu.dal.ca/32/20080120.12.50-13.10.mp3
> >
> > In the past this has worked fine, Firefox would ask me what I wanted to
> > do with the mp3 file.
> >
> > But since Fedora 7 it automatically plays the file...
> >
> > I guess I should probably post this to a Firefox mailing list...
>
> That's interesting. Indeed Firefox wants to just play the file when
> clicking download (that's on 32kbps, as I'm on dialup) , and a right click
> doesn't give the "save link as" option. I still get the Flashgot options,
> but clicking on Kget does nothing. I tried the site with KDE's Konqueror,
> and just left clicking on the download button. Here I get an options box to
> play the file with Noatun, or Save as. Clicking on Save as takes me to
> Kget's "Where do you want to save it to" window. Having decided where to
> put the file, Kget is downloading the mp3 at the mo.
>
> I'm trying this with Firefox on Archlinux, as I don't have Fedora 7 booted
> up at the mo.
>
> It almost looks like it's more to with the site, and it's willingness to
> work with Firefox, as Konqueror is downloading the file ok.
>
> Nigel.

An update. I've just booted up F8. I've got 2 Firefox's installed. The Fedora
one with all plugins installed, and a Firefox I installed in /usr/local, with
no plugins installed, which I installed to check out which plugins some sites
required.

Using the Firefox with no plugins installed, I go to:
http://ckdu.dal.ca , and clicking on download, brings up a window asking if I
want to "Open with" RealPlayer 10 (default), or, (as I've got Flashgot
installed) want to use "FlashGot" to use Kget for downloading the file, which
is the box that is checked.

There is also another checkbox in this window "Do this automatically for files
like this from now on". Could you have accidentally checked that box, so that
now any mp3's you click on are using the default player, rather than giving
you the option of saving to disk?

Nigel.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:02 -0400, francis keyes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Fedora 7 with firefox-2.0.0.10-2.fc7.
> Whenever I try to download an mp3 the file opens in Firefox and starts
> playing instead of asking me what I want to do with the file. i
> thought this might be the mplayerplug-in at work but removing the
> plugin with yum made no change.
>
> I tried Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage but no file
> types are listed and I can't add any.
>
> Does nyone know how to tell Firefox what to do with an mp3 file?
>
> Thanks
Here is what you can do. I wish Mozilla would fix this. Go to
about:config in firefox.
Change the configuration Of:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false by
clicking on it.
Then: Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage
will display which programs handle which file types.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 01 February 2008 16:11, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:02 -0400, francis keyes wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm using Fedora 7 with firefox-2.0.0.10-2.fc7.
> > Whenever I try to download an mp3 the file opens in Firefox and starts
> > playing instead of asking me what I want to do with the file. i
> > thought this might be the mplayerplug-in at work but removing the
> > plugin with yum made no change.
> >
> > I tried Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage but no file
> > types are listed and I can't add any.
> >
> > Does nyone know how to tell Firefox what to do with an mp3 file?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Here is what you can do. I wish Mozilla would fix this. Go to
> about:config in firefox.
> Change the configuration Of:
> browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false by
> clicking on it.
> Then: Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage
> will display which programs handle which file types.

Thanks for that Aaron. I've been through that fiasco above before, and had
forgotten the fix. It's all the more annoying, as I've just looked in my
notes on Firefox problems, and see that I'd written the fix down. Doh!

I hope Francis, the OP is still reading the thread.

Nigel.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 AM
"francis keyes"

Hi All,

On Fri, Feb 1, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:02 -0400, francis keyes wrote:

> Hi All,

> I'm using Fedora 7 with firefox-2.0.0.10-2.fc7.

> Whenever I try to download an mp3 the file opens in Firefox and starts

> playing instead of asking me what I want to do with the file. * i

> thought this might be the mplayerplug-in at work but removing the

> plugin with yum made no change.

> I tried Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage but no file

> types are listed and I can't add any.

> Does nyone know how to tell Firefox what to do with an mp3 file?

> Thanks

Here is what you can do. I wish Mozilla would fix this. Go to

about:config in firefox.

What do you mean about:config* ?
I don't understand this.

Thanks!

*

Change the configuration Of:

browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false by

clicking on it.

Then: Preferences--> Content--> File Types--> Manage

will display which programs handle which file types.

I exist, therefore I am paid.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Dr P Dupre

I could suggest alos to remove the file:
.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 23:41 -0400, francis keyes wrote:
> What do you mean about:config ?
> I don't understand this.

In the web browser's address gadget, type in: about:config

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.