Old 01-31-2008, 04:30 PM
"francis keyes"

Default setting preferences globally?

Hi All,

We're using Gnome.* Sabayon, sadly, is a good idea but didn't work.
I solved the problem of setting Gnome preferences globally by doing the following:

1.* create a new user testuser and set up that user's Gnome profile the way I want it.

2.* chmod -R a+rwx /home/testuser/.gconf*
3.* mkdir /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
4.* cp -r /home/testuser/.gconf* /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
5.* rm -rf /home/*/.gconf*
6.* create a little shell script called cpmult to copy the new config files to everyone's home directory:

#!/bin/sh
for i in $(ls /home);
do cp -rfpv /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS/.gconf* /home/$i;
done;

This is pretty round-about but it worked.* I'm really surprised Gnome doesn't have this functionality built in.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Ian Chapman <packages@amiga-hardware.com> wrote:

francis keyes wrote:

> My question is: *as root, is there a way that I can set every user's

> screen saver preferences to NOT lock the screen?

If the desktop is KDE, you can do the following:

Edit the following file:

/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/kdesktoprc

The particular thing of interest is the following stanza:

[ScreenSaver]

Enabled=true

Lock=true

LockGrace=120000

Priority=19

Saver=KRandom.desktop

Timeout=1800

You can set Lock=false

You should also be able to use the KDE immutable option next to the

stanza name so that users cannot override these settings, eg.

[ScreenSaver] [$i]

Note though, that an rpm update may obliterate your changes, so you

could create your own kde profile and add it in /etc/kderc which is how

I've done similar things for our computer labs.

--

Ian Chapman.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:30 -0400, francis keyes wrote:
> I solved the problem of setting Gnome preferences globally by doing
> the following:
>
> 1. create a new user testuser and set up that user's Gnome profile
> the way I want it.
> 2. chmod -R a+rwx /home/testuser/.gconf*
> 3. mkdir /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
> 4. cp -r /home/testuser/.gconf* /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
> 5. rm -rf /home/*/.gconf*
> 6. create a little shell script called cpmult to copy the new config
> files to everyone's home directory:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for i in $(ls /home);
> do cp -rfpv /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS/.gconf* /home/$i;
> done;
>

> This is pretty round-about but it worked. I'm really surprised Gnome
> doesn't have this functionality built in.

For creating accounts with settings you want, preset, there's
the /etc/skel/ directory (skeleton files to build in each new
userspace). You'd make your default user config, then copy it into
there.

But for modifying existing accounts, you'd need to do something else.
Like you've done, or a tool existing already for doing the same thing.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.