Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Brian Gaynor

Default Nautilus annoyances - can configuration change these, if so how?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:51 +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
> Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > Dnia 31-01-2008, czw o godzinie 10:20 +0000, Chris G pisze:
> >> I tend to use the command line most of the time but I occasionally use
> >> Nautilus when, for example, I'm housekeeping image files and it's
> >> useful to be able to see the images.
> >>
> >> However, for me, nautilus has some very annoying defaults and I'm
> >> wondering if they can be changed, i.e. :-
> >>
> >> Nautilus opens a new window for every directory, this rapidly gets
> >> annoying with deep hierarchies. Is there an option to get
> >> Nautilus to open a new directory/folder in the *same* window?
> >
> > 1) you can middle-click instead of left-click. It will close parent
> > folder.
>
> Fair enough, I didn't know that.
> where is that documented?
>
> > 2) you can use Nautilus in browser mode: Applications -> System tools
> > -> file browser or Right-click folder -> Browse; or nautilus --browser
>
> Not exactly what the OP asked.

I fail to see how changing the nautilus default to browser mode doesn't
do exactly what the OP asked for. It certainly works for me.

-Brian

Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
wwp

Hello Chris,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:20:46 +0000 Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I tend to use the command line most of the time but I occasionally use
> Nautilus when, for example, I'm housekeeping image files and it's
> useful to be able to see the images.
>
> However, for me, nautilus has some very annoying defaults and I'm
> wondering if they can be changed, i.e. :-
>
> Nautilus opens a new window for every directory, this rapidly gets
> annoying with deep hierarchies. Is there an option to get
> Nautilus to open a new directory/folder in the *same* window?
> (Windows can do it, when using XP I always have this option set)
[snip]

For this one, try shift+double-click. It opens the folder in a new
window and closes the former one (what a strange and funny behaviour!).

wwp

Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Ian Malone

Chris G wrote:

I have just installed thunar and it seems a pretty good match to my
requirements at least, thank you. It doesn't try and take over the
world in quite the way that nautilus does either.

I used to think the ultimate evolution of Gnome would be a desktop
which displayed a single 'Off' button. Thanks to your post I now
realise they're actually moving towards a 'Global domination'
button.

--
imalone

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Ian Malone

Tim wrote:

No the command line is NOT better than the GUI, but many of the GUIs in
Linux programs do leave a lot to be desired.

$ find -iname heretic -exec burn {} ;

--
imalone

Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM
spmirowski

Message: 4 Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:20:46 +0000