Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default New FC8 install: How to prevent auto-mounting???

Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:56 -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> --
> | ~^~ ~^~
> | <?> <?> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
> | ^ J(tWdy)P
> | \___/ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

I ran into the exact same thing last night. A file system marked
"noauto" was mounted at boot time. I had to comment out the line
in /etc/fstab and hack around the problem (put something in rc.local)
but it's a royal hack, not a solution.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
François Patte

Old 01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 18:31 +0100, François Patte wrote:

> Le 31.01.2008 18:10, Mark C. Allman a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:56 -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > I use mc from a konsole to do my file browsing. I'm quite comfortable
> > with using mount & umount from the command line as needed. I really
> > dislike finding filesystems already mounted when I expressly set them up
> > with the noauto option in my /etc/fstab. How can I stop it from
> > happening?
> >
> > I'd actually prefer a root command line solution that will
> > make it impossible for kde to turn automounting back on.
> >
> > In case it matters, I boot to runlevel 3 and start kde via startx as
> > needed.
> >

> > I ran into the exact same thing last night. A file system marked
> > "noauto" was mounted at boot time. I had to comment out the line
> > in /etc/fstab and hack around the problem (put something in rc.local)
> > but it's a royal hack, not a solution.
>
> The culprit is gnome or kde... for kde, I don't know, but for gnome you
> have a System>Preferences>Removable medias (something like that) where
> you can choose what you want.
>
> Anyway there is some problem there: as cd/dvd devices are no more
> mentionned in fstab, I think that if you don't use auto-mount, you will
> be unable to mount your cd/dvd if you are not root....
>
> This is boring: same happens if you want to format a cd/dvd/usb-key...
> whatever, you cannot unmount them to perform the operation if you are
> not root...
>
> - --
> François Patte

The problem is definitely not gnome or kde. The mount happens at boot
time, right after udev. Also, the line I had in fstab was mounting a
usb 250GB external hard drive. No CD or DVD drives involved.

I see the LVM find my logical volume (VolGrp00/LogVol00, or something
similar), I see udev "start" (I can't remember the line in the
start-up--I think it says "starting udev"), then I see an error saying
the drive with a specific label can't be found. I can then provide the
root password to get in and fix the problem. The drive with the label
that can't be found is marked "noauto" in fstab. I've had it marked
"auto" and everthing's worked for the past three months, but suddenly
last night it stopped working so I tried "noauto" to skip the mount at
boot time. The disk has the same, correct label--I checked. I switched
back to "auto" and just commented out the whole line in fstab, rebooted
the system to run level 3, uncommented the line in fstab and ran "mount
-a" with no errors, so I know it's not the disk label. I suspect it's
something with the disk device (/dev/sdb1, I believe) not being found.
But why "noauto" doesn't prevent the device from being mounted at boot
time is a mystery.

As I type this an idea to test just occurred to me, so I'll try it
tonight when I get back to my office.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:17 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:07 -0500, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> [...]
> last night it stopped working so I tried "noauto" to skip the mount at
> boot time. The disk has the same, correct label--I checked. I switched
> back to "auto" and just commented out the whole line in fstab, rebooted
> the system to run level 3, uncommented the line in fstab and ran "mount
> -a" with no errors, so I know it's not the disk label. I suspect it's
> something with the disk device (/dev/sdb1, I believe) not being found.
> But why "noauto" doesn't prevent the device from being mounted at boot
> time is a mystery.
>
> As I type this an idea to test just occurred to me, so I'll try it
> tonight when I get back to my office.
>
> -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
> -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
>
> BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

Also, this is with kernels 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 and 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 (the
latest kernel).

Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Bob Marcan

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:17:11 -0500
"Mark C. Allman" <mcallman@allmanpc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:07 -0500, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> > > The culprit is gnome or kde... for kde, I don't know, but for gnome you
> > > have a System>Preferences>Removable medias (something like that) where
> > > you can choose what you want.
> > >
> > > Anyway there is some problem there: as cd/dvd devices are no more
> > > mentionned in fstab, I think that if you don't use auto-mount, you will
> > > be unable to mount your cd/dvd if you are not root....
> > >
> > > This is boring: same happens if you want to format a cd/dvd/usb-key...
> > > whatever, you cannot unmount them to perform the operation if you are
> > > not root...
> > >
> > > - --
> > > François Patte
> >
> > The problem is definitely not gnome or kde. The mount happens at boot
> > time, right after udev. Also, the line I had in fstab was mounting a
> > usb 250GB external hard drive. No CD or DVD drives involved.
> >
> > I see the LVM find my logical volume (VolGrp00/LogVol00, or something
> > similar), I see udev "start" (I can't remember the line in the
> > start-up--I think it says "starting udev"), then I see an error saying
> > the drive with a specific label can't be found. I can then provide the
> > root password to get in and fix the problem. The drive with the label
> > that can't be found is marked "noauto" in fstab. I've had it marked
> > "auto" and everthing's worked for the past three months, but suddenly
> > last night it stopped working so I tried "noauto" to skip the mount at
> > boot time. The disk has the same, correct label--I checked. I switched
> > back to "auto" and just commented out the whole line in fstab, rebooted
> > the system to run level 3, uncommented the line in fstab and ran "mount
> > -a" with no errors, so I know it's not the disk label. I suspect it's
> > something with the disk device (/dev/sdb1, I believe) not being found.
> > But why "noauto" doesn't prevent the device from being mounted at boot
> > time is a mystery.
> >
> > As I type this an idea to test just occurred to me, so I'll try it
> > tonight when I get back to my office.
> >
> > -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
> > -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> > -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
> >
> > BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution
> >

> Also, this is with kernels 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 and 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 (the
> latest kernel).
>
> -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
> -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
>
> BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/linux-tidbits.html

Look at Hide Backup Disk

Best regards, Bob

Old 01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 20:03 +0100, Bob Marcan wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:17:11 -0500
> "Mark C. Allman" <mcallman@allmanpc.com> wrote:

> > > The problem is definitely not gnome or kde. The mount happens at boot
> > > time, right after udev. Also, the line I had in fstab was mounting a
> > > usb 250GB external hard drive. No CD or DVD drives involved.
> > >
> > > I see the LVM find my logical volume (VolGrp00/LogVol00, or something
> > > similar), I see udev "start" (I can't remember the line in the
> > > start-up--I think it says "starting udev"), then I see an error saying
> > > the drive with a specific label can't be found. I can then provide the
> > > root password to get in and fix the problem. The drive with the label
> > > that can't be found is marked "noauto" in fstab. I've had it marked
> > > "auto" and everthing's worked for the past three months, but suddenly
> > > last night it stopped working so I tried "noauto" to skip the mount at
> > > boot time. The disk has the same, correct label--I checked. I switched
> > > back to "auto" and just commented out the whole line in fstab, rebooted
> > > the system to run level 3, uncommented the line in fstab and ran "mount
> > > -a" with no errors, so I know it's not the disk label. I suspect it's
> > > something with the disk device (/dev/sdb1, I believe) not being found.
> > > But why "noauto" doesn't prevent the device from being mounted at boot
> > > time is a mystery.
> > >
> > > As I type this an idea to test just occurred to me, so I'll try it
> > > tonight when I get back to my office.
> > >
> > > -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
> > > -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> > > -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
> > >
> > > BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution
> > >

> > Also, this is with kernels 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 and 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 (the
> > latest kernel).
> >
> > -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
> > -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> > -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
> >
> > BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution
> >

> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/linux-tidbits.html
>
> Look at Hide Backup Disk
>
> Best regards, Bob

I don't this it applies here. HAL isn't involved. This is right after
udev starts, right at the start of the boot process. HAL starts much
later. At least that's my understanding based on when I see service
start (I could be way off, though).

Also, from the page you point to:
On a similar note, Fedora 8 changed the way hal is configured so
that all fixed disk partitions get mounted by default (even
partitions you deliberately left out of the /etc/fstab file
because you didn't want people fooling with them).

With the line commented out of my fstab file the usb hard drive isn't
mounted at all. Ever. However, I'll re-verify that this evening.