FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

I installed FC8 on my dual boot laptop, and ran "yum update".
when I try to activate Broadcom 43 my wifi, I get:


SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No
such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Note lspci:
...
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN
Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Martin Marques
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:

I installed FC8 on my dual boot laptop, and ran "yum update".
when I try to activate Broadcom 43 my wifi, I get:


SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No
such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Note lspci:
...
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN
Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)

...

Any suggestions?


Check dmesg. There must be more info there (especially when b43 is loaded).

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:25:57 -0200, Martin Marques wrote:

> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:
>> I installed FC8 on my dual boot laptop, and ran "yum update". when I
>> try to activate Broadcom 43 my wifi, I get:
>>
>>
>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>>
>> Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or
>> directory
>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>>
>> Note lspci:
>> ...
>> 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390
>> WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
>> ...
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Check dmesg. There must be more info there (especially when b43 is
> loaded).

Yes, indeed, dmesg:

b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/
Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware
(version 4).
input: b43-phy0 as /class/input/input13

Thanks again,
Mike.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:40:09 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:25:57 -0200, Martin Marques wrote:
>
>> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:
>>> I installed FC8 on my dual boot laptop, and ran "yum update". when I
>>> try to activate Broadcom 43 my wifi, I get:
>>>
>>>
>>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file
>>> or directory
>>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Note lspci:
>>> ...
>>> 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390
>>> WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
>>> ...
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Check dmesg. There must be more info there (especially when b43 is
>> loaded).
>
> Yes, indeed, dmesg:
>
> b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
> b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/
> Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware (version
> 4).
> input: b43-phy0 as /class/input/input13
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike.

So I did what it says, and:

[root@mbrc15 driver]# which b43-fwcutter
/usr/bin/b43-fwcutter
[root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -v
b43-fwcutter version 009
[root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o
Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter.
This file has an unknown MD5sum cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c.
[root@mbrc15 driver]#
root@mbrc15 driver]# pwd
/root/broadcom/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:23:55 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:40:09 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:25:57 -0200, Martin Marques wrote:
>>
>>> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:
>>>> I installed FC8 on my dual boot laptop, and ran "yum update". when I
>>>> try to activate Broadcom 43 my wifi, I get:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>>>>
>>>> Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file
>>>> or directory
>>>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>>>>
>>>> Note lspci:
>>>> ...
>>>> 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390
>>>> WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
>>>> ...
>>>>
>>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Check dmesg. There must be more info there (especially when b43 is
>>> loaded).
>>
>> Yes, indeed, dmesg:
>>
>> b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
>> b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/
>> Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware
>> (version 4).
>> input: b43-phy0 as /class/input/input13
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Mike.
>
> So I did what it says, and:
>
> [root@mbrc15 driver]# which b43-fwcutter /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter
> [root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -v b43-fwcutter version 009
> [root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o
> Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter.
> This file has an unknown MD5sum cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c.
> [root@mbrc15 driver]#
> root@mbrc15 driver]# pwd
> /root/broadcom/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

Wait .. I see I used the wrong firmware version for my kernel.

Mike.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Martin Marques
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:


So I did what it says, and:

[root@mbrc15 driver]# which b43-fwcutter
/usr/bin/b43-fwcutter
[root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -v
b43-fwcutter version 009
[root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o


Did you copy and paste that? You have an extra space. before
wl_apsta_mimo.o.


BTW, what's the diference between the wl_apsta_mimo.o and the wl_apsta.o?


Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter.
This file has an unknown MD5sum cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c.


Did that tar give any error?


[root@mbrc15 driver]#
root@mbrc15 driver]# pwd
/root/broadcom/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver



I'm using broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2-

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Martin Marques
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:


Wait .. I see I used the wrong firmware version for my kernel.


Use the right driver and tell use how it turned out.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 AM
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:58:07 -0200, Martin Marques wrote:

> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:
>>
>> So I did what it says, and:
>>
>> [root@mbrc15 driver]# which b43-fwcutter /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter
>> [root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -v b43-fwcutter version 009
>> [root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o
>
> Did you copy and paste that? You have an extra space. before
> wl_apsta_mimo.o.

I did paste it. That space belongs there, The -w is followed
by the target directory. Then a space and the filename.

>
> BTW, what's the diference between the wl_apsta_mimo.o and the
> wl_apsta.o?

I don't know; I did what I was told.

>
>> Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter.
>> This file has an unknown MD5sum cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c.
>
> Did that tar give any error?

No tar error.

>
>> [root@mbrc15 driver]#
>> root@mbrc15 driver]# pwd
>> /root/broadcom/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
>
>
> I'm using broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2-

Yes, that was my last error. I switched to the version you are
using and it now works, unencrypted, but with MAC authentication.

I have yet to try WPA encryption. Have you tried it? Tomorrow
I leave for a long weekend, so I won't try it until next week.
However with the wifi working, I should be able to look at the
newsgroup.

Thanks again for your help.
Mike.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 AM
Jeff Burns
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

> Wait .. I see I used the wrong firmware version for my kernel.
>
> Mike.
>

Hi Mike,

You need to grab this file:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2

Extract and then do

[]# b43-fwcutter
-w /lib/firmware/ /path/to/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod/wl_apsta.o

This is what brought my BCM4306 to life.

HTH,

Jeff

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"
 
Default Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:58:07 -0200, Martin Marques wrote:
>
> > Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED escribió:
> >>
> >> So I did what it says, and:
> >>
> >> [root@mbrc15 driver]# which b43-fwcutter /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter
> >> [root@mbrc15 driver]# b43-fwcutter -v b43-fwcutter version 009

those first two commands don't seem to make much sense -- why would
you run the "which" command on b43-fwcutter only to have an extra
argument of the fully-qualified file name? i'm guessing you combined
the which command and its output on a single line, and that's really
not a good idea if you're trying to explain what you did.

rday
--
================================================== ======================
Robert P. J. Day
Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook
================================================== ======================--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org