Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default F8 Evolution and dropped reply-to style

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:00 +0200, Paul-Erik Törrönen wrote:
> It seems that the current Evolution (2.12.3) shipped by Fedora 8 _forces_
> one to top post (ie. write the response above the quoted message).
>
> There are only four different ways to configure the reply style:
> 0 Quote original message (puts a newline and prompt on top of the message,
> paste-relevant-part behaves identically)
> 1 Do not quote original message (err.. how do I then comment on specific
> issues? The paste-relevant-part does not work)
> 2 Attach original message (ditto)
> 3 Inline original (Outlook style) (see 0, and does not quote)

I can't find where you format the reply style in evolution. Where is it?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:00 +0200, Paul-Erik Törrönen wrote:
> It seems that the current Evolution (2.12.3) shipped by Fedora 8 _forces_
> one to top post (ie. write the response above the quoted message).
>
> There are only four different ways to configure the reply style:
> 0 Quote original message (puts a newline and prompt on top of the message,
> paste-relevant-part behaves identically)
> 1 Do not quote original message (err.. how do I then comment on specific
> issues? The paste-relevant-part does not work)
> 2 Attach original message (ditto)
> 3 Inline original (Outlook style) (see 0, and does not quote)
>
> Can I please have the proper way, which was already implemented in earlier
> versions, returned to this otherwise good software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Poltsi

Ok, I found the reply style formatting but in f7 only style 0,1,and 2
are included. What is the "proper way" you mention?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Brian Gaynor

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:16 +0200, Paul-Erik Törrönen wrote:
> > Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >> That is the proper way to do things. That way you work your way down
> >> through
>
> But then, Just as Stuart also noted, why is it inserting the empty line at
> the top, with the cursor on that line. Does not make sense to me, but it
> looks _very_ inviting to just start typing whatever response and then
> press send.
>
> > Agreed. Removing the config option makes no sense though.
> <SNIP>
> > (although top-posting has taken over the world. No, I don't want to
> > start a new flame war. top-posting is like marmite. You either love it
> > or hate it.)
>
> Nor am I looking for a flame war (too old for that). However what I would
> like to have is the _possibility_ to configure Evolution to behave as it
> did for a very long time,
> <SNIP>

Another vote for at least making the old behavior an option. While the
new behavior doesn't force you to top post it certainly seems to
encourage it, shudder.

- Brian

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Paul-Erik Törrönen

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 09:14 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Ok, I found the reply style formatting but in f7 only style 0,1,and 2
> are included. What is the "proper way" you mention?

I checked it on my wife's comp (FC7 both the latest Evolution as well as
3 patchlevels earlier), and actually it does not do it quite as I
remember. It does not put the empty line on top of the message, but it
does leave the cursor on the 'On <date>...' line. So my memory played
tricks on me and I stand corrected.

However my suggestion of having an option for the the composer to quote
either the full message (perhaps sans signature?) or the selected text
and placing the cursor beneath the text on a new line, stands. Just as
an alternative.

Poltsi

--
Paul-Erik Törrönen
poltsi@777-team.org

Old 02-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:50 +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:00:42 +0200,
> > Paul-Erik Törrönen <poltsi@777-team.org> wrote:
> >> It seems that the current Evolution (2.12.3) shipped by Fedora 8 _forces_
> >> one to top post (ie. write the response above the quoted message).
> >>
> >> There are only four different ways to configure the reply style:
> >> 0 Quote original message (puts a newline and prompt on top of the message,
> >> paste-relevant-part behaves identically)
> >
> > That is the proper way to do things. That way you work your way down through
> > the message inserting replies and trimming as appropiate. If you prompt
> > at the bottom, then people are encouraged to skip trimming, which is just
> > about as annoying as top posting.
>
> Agreed. Removing the config option makes no sense though.
> Prompting at the top forces the opposite approach, don't you think?
> i.e. TOFU
> which is actually worse than not trimming replies IMHO.
>
> (although top-posting has taken over the world. No, I don't want to
> start a new flame war. top-posting is like marmite. You either love it
> or hate it.)

For me it's not a matter of hate, it's a matter of DESPISE!!

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 09:07 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:00 +0200, Paul-Erik Törrönen wrote:
> > It seems that the current Evolution (2.12.3) shipped by Fedora 8 _forces_
> > one to top post (ie. write the response above the quoted message).
> >
> > There are only four different ways to configure the reply style:
> > 0 Quote original message (puts a newline and prompt on top of the message,
> > paste-relevant-part behaves identically)
> > 1 Do not quote original message (err.. how do I then comment on specific
> > issues? The paste-relevant-part does not work)
> > 2 Attach original message (ditto)
> > 3 Inline original (Outlook style) (see 0, and does not quote)
> >
> I can't find where you format the reply style in evolution. Where is it?
> > Can I please have the proper way, which was already implemented in earlier
> > versions, returned to this otherwise good software.

It's in the mouse. Just click on the bottom of the post, trim whatever
is annoying and start typing. Be glad you're not on a Selectric, licking
stamps, stuffing envelopes and waiting 1/2 month for a reply. This
slight tad of inconvenience doesn't mean one is *doomed* to top-posting.
I never noticed the selections absence. I just looked, you're right,
it's not there. No prob.

What probably happened was that too many wankers ragged on the Evolution
team over the selections not intuiting exactly what the luser wanted, so
they predictably jerked it out by the roots. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 23:58 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 09:07 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:00 +0200, Paul-Erik Törrönen wrote:
> > > It seems that the current Evolution (2.12.3) shipped by Fedora 8 _forces_
> > > one to top post (ie. write the response above the quoted message).
> > >
> > > There are only four different ways to configure the reply style:
> > > 0 Quote original message (puts a newline and prompt on top of the message,
> > > paste-relevant-part behaves identically)
> > > 1 Do not quote original message (err.. how do I then comment on specific
> > > issues? The paste-relevant-part does not work)
> > > 2 Attach original message (ditto)
> > > 3 Inline original (Outlook style) (see 0, and does not quote)
> > >
> > I can't find where you format the reply style in evolution. Where is it?
> > > Can I please have the proper way, which was already implemented in earlier
> > > versions, returned to this otherwise good software.
>
> It's in the mouse. Just click on the bottom of the post, trim whatever
> is annoying and start typing. Be glad you're not on a Selectric, licking
> stamps, stuffing envelopes and waiting 1/2 month for a reply. This
> slight tad of inconvenience doesn't mean one is *doomed* to top-posting.
> I never noticed the selections absence. I just looked, you're right,
> it's not there. No prob.
>
> What probably happened was that too many wankers ragged on the Evolution
> team over the selections not intuiting exactly what the luser wanted, so
> they predictably jerked it out by the roots. Ric
----
evolution, typical of Gnome software is very light on configuration
options on purpose.

Craig

Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 22:31 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 23:58 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > I can't find where you format the reply style in evolution. Where is it?
> >
> > It's in the mouse. Just click on the bottom of the post, trim whatever
> > is annoying and start typing. Be glad you're not on a Selectric, licking
> > stamps, stuffing envelopes and waiting 1/2 month for a reply. This
> > slight tad of inconvenience doesn't mean one is *doomed* to top-posting.
> > I never noticed the selections absence. I just looked, you're right,
> > it's not there. No prob.
> >
> > What probably happened was that too many wankers ragged on the Evolution
> > team over the selections not intuiting exactly what the luser wanted, so
> > they predictably jerked it out by the roots. Ric
> ----
> evolution, typical of Gnome software is very light on configuration
> options on purpose.

Ha! Then there is less to gripe about?? <cackles hugely> When I last did
a full install with FC7, I was having an anxiety attack while using
gnome. When I finally got KDE installed again I had that warm fuzzy
contented feeling you get after sex. I was home and I got made happy as
well! But really, I didn't notice it missing as I will trim and middle
post within the original text anyway. So, where the cursor starts off is
no major deal to me. I'm gonna put it where I want it.

<grinning hugely> <wishing instead I was feeling warm and fuzzy> Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar