Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 PM
JD

Default Using hdparm to enable diabled features of a hard drive

When I issued
sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdb I got, among other info,
a list of commands/features, most of which are enabled,
except for a few. To wit:

Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* SMART feature set
Security Mode feature set <<<<<<<
* Power Management feature set
* Write cache
* Look-ahead
* Host Protected Area feature set
* WRITE_BUFFER command
* READ_BUFFER command
* DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
SET_MAX security extension <<<<<<<<<<<<
* Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
* 48-bit Address feature set
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set
* Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
* FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
* SMART error logging
* SMART self-test
* General Purpose Logging feature set
* WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT
* 64-bit World wide name
Write-Read-Verify feature set <<<<<<<<<<
* WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
* {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
* Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
* Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
* Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
* Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
* Phy event counters
Device-initiated interface power management <<<<<<<<
* Software settings preservation
* SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
* SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
* SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
* SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
* SCT Features Control (AC4)
* SCT Data Tables (AC5)
unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)

So, my questions are:

a. how can I use hdparm to enable write/read verify? That's what I am
interested in.
Man page does not mention this.
b. What is the effect of enabling "SET_MAX security extension", i.e.:
hdparm --security-mode m /dev/hdb
What does it buy me?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Bill Davidsen

JD wrote:
> When I issued
> sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdb I got, among other info,
> a list of commands/features, most of which are enabled,
> except for a few. To wit:
>
> Commands/features:
> Enabled Supported:
> * SMART feature set
> Security Mode feature set<<<<<<<
> * Power Management feature set
> * Write cache
> * Look-ahead
> * Host Protected Area feature set
> * WRITE_BUFFER command
> * READ_BUFFER command
> * DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
> SET_MAX security extension<<<<<<<<<<<<
> * Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
> * 48-bit Address feature set
> * Device Configuration Overlay feature set
> * Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
> * FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
> * SMART error logging
> * SMART self-test
> * General Purpose Logging feature set
> * WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT
> * 64-bit World wide name
> Write-Read-Verify feature set<<<<<<<<<<
> * WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
> * {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
> * Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
> * Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
> * Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
> * Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
> * Phy event counters
> Device-initiated interface power management<<<<<<<<
> * Software settings preservation
> * SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
> * SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
> * SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
> * SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
> * SCT Features Control (AC4)
> * SCT Data Tables (AC5)
> unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> a. how can I use hdparm to enable write/read verify? That's what I am
> interested in.
> Man page does not mention this.

I don't think hdparm is the tool to install new firmware with more features.
There are FOSS programs to install new versions, and usually the vendor has an
install for Windows to upgrade.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 AM
JD

On 10/17/2010 02:49 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> When I issued
>> sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdb I got, among other info,
>> a list of commands/features, most of which are enabled,
>> except for a few. To wit:
>>
>> Commands/features:
>> Enabled Supported:
>> * SMART feature set
>> Security Mode feature set<<<<<<<
>> * Power Management feature set
>> * Write cache
>> * Look-ahead
>> * Host Protected Area feature set
>> * WRITE_BUFFER command
>> * READ_BUFFER command
>> * DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
>> SET_MAX security extension<<<<<<<<<<<<
>> * Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
>> * 48-bit Address feature set
>> * Device Configuration Overlay feature set
>> * Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
>> * FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
>> * SMART error logging
>> * SMART self-test
>> * General Purpose Logging feature set
>> * WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT
>> * 64-bit World wide name
>> Write-Read-Verify feature set<<<<<<<<<<
>> * WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
>> * {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
>> * Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
>> * Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
>> * Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
>> * Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
>> * Phy event counters
>> Device-initiated interface power management<<<<<<<<
>> * Software settings preservation
>> * SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
>> * SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
>> * SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
>> * SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
>> * SCT Features Control (AC4)
>> * SCT Data Tables (AC5)
>> unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
>>
>> So, my questions are:
>>
>> a. how can I use hdparm to enable write/read verify? That's what I am
>> interested in.
>> Man page does not mention this.
> I don't think hdparm is the tool to install new firmware with more features.
> There are FOSS programs to install new versions, and usually the vendor has an
> install for Windows to upgrade.

Well, write/read verify is reported by hdparm
as an available feature of the drive's firmware,
but it is disabled by default.
The lines above narked by <<<<<< on the right side
are the firmware features available, but disabled.
That's why I am trying to see if hdparm can turn
it on - but man page says nothing about how to enable it.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Gordan Bobic

Apologies for necroposting, but I've been looking for a similar feature
and the lack of it annoyed me sufficiently that I wrote a patch to add
the required functionality to hdparm.

Details here:
http://www.altechnative.net/?p=140

Patch here:
http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=3276513

Hopefully it'll get accepted into hdparm, but given the amount of spam I
saw on the SF forums I rather doubt anyone is paying much attention
there. Maybe I should open a Fedora bugzilla ticket instead...

From what I can tell from my sample set, only Seagate disks seem to
have this features; none of my Hitachi, Samsung, Western Digital or
Toshiba disks have it, but all of my Seagates do.

HTH.

Gordan