Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Freeze on Lid close

hirantha wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a laptop HP Compaq 6710b running on Fedora 8 with the latest
updates. I have an issue that when I press the lid button, the Laptop
get freeze and the possible way is to recover -- hard power reset. I
noticed that this is due to the video card driver which is Intel 965GM.
I changed to some other diver vesa and it is working fine. And other
thing I checked, if I shut the ACPI (acpi=off) everything is fine but I
loss lots of features on my laptop.

I download the Intel drivers from the
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html and compiled it.
xf86-video-intel and drm. Then it is started to work. But if I run the
system-config-display and save the xorg.conf with Intel driver, it
freezes again. And only recovering is re-compiling the drm and
xf86-video-intel. I can't install the meas for 3D GL driver too --
giving compilation issue.

Please let me know if someone has working config with Intel Mobile GM
960 driver with mesa.

Thanks in advance

-+> Hirantha

You may want to edit /etc/acpi/events/video.conf and see it that
fixes the problem without having to compile your own driver.

Mikkel

Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 AM
hirantha

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for the post. I have check this before compiling the driver. In first press button - no harm
, working fine. But if press it again, laptop get freeze; and trigger a kernel panic. here is the
info i get.

Code: Bad EIP Value.
EIP: [<7f7e7dc4>] 0x7f7fe7dc4 SS:ESP 0068:f7c7aca4
Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

I have no issue when scpi=off, non-intel driver.
I can't use any other driver because wide-screen is not supporting

Please advice..

Thanks and regards

-+> hirantha

Old 02-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:07 +0530, hirantha wrote:
> Hi Mikkel,
>
> Thanks for the post. I have check this before compiling the driver.

Please don't top-post. Please read:
Then enjoy. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 02-03-2008, 12:25 AM
David Timms

hirantha wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

hirantha wrote:
I'm having a laptop HP Compaq 6710b running on Fedora 8 with the
latest updates. I have an issue that when I press the lid button, the
Laptop get freeze and the possible way is to recover -- hard power

What are you expecting the machine to do when you close the lid ?

On my HP nx6320, Fedora defaults to doing a suspend on lid close. Since
suspend/resume has not been working reliably over time {and I can't
afford to lose information}, I turn this off:

system|preferences|system|power management
[gnome-power-preferences]

on ac power |actions|when laptop lid is closed=blank screen
on battery power|actions|when laptop lid is closed=blank screen

DaveT.