Old 01-31-2008, 01:30 PM
"Kirk Lowery"

Default Where's ext2online?

I'm adding a 500GB drive to my (Fedora 8) desktop and want to extend
the root file system (journaled ext3) to use the new drive.

I've been reading all the FAQs and HOWTOs, and they mention the
program ext2online for the final step in the process. But I can't find
it anywhere. Is there a package that needs installing?

TIA!

Kirk

Old 01-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Kirk Lowery wrote:

I'm adding a 500GB drive to my (Fedora 8) desktop and want to extend
the root file system (journaled ext3) to use the new drive.

I've been reading all the FAQs and HOWTOs, and they mention the
program ext2online for the final step in the process. But I can't find
it anywhere. Is there a package that needs installing?

resize2fs has obsoleted it.

Rahul

Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
"Kirk Lowery"

On Jan 31, 2008 9:43 AM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Kirk Lowery wrote:
> > I'm adding a 500GB drive to my (Fedora 8) desktop and want to extend
> > the root file system (journaled ext3) to use the new drive.
> >
> > I've been reading all the FAQs and HOWTOs, and they mention the
> > program ext2online for the final step in the process. But I can't find
> > it anywhere. Is there a package that needs installing?
>
> resize2fs has obsoleted it.

Ah. That explains it.

Reading the man page on resize2fs, it notes: "As of this writing, the
Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted
using ext3 only." Yet when I used the LVM GUI app, it choked at this
step, saying it couldn't unmount the root filesystem. That's
understandable, but it raises the question: can one use resize2fs from
a commandline while running fedora with the root filesystem mounted?

Kirk

Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Duane Clark

Kirk Lowery wrote:

Reading the man page on resize2fs, it notes: "As of this writing, the
Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted
using ext3 only." Yet when I used the LVM GUI app, it choked at this
step, saying it couldn't unmount the root filesystem. That's
understandable, but it raises the question: can one use resize2fs from
a commandline while running fedora with the root filesystem mounted?

In a similar situation, I booted from the DVD in "linux rescue" mode. I
found that when it asked whether I wanted it to find and mount
partitions, I needed to hit "skip". If I allowed it to mount the root
partition, I could not unmount it.

In rescue mode, the vgscan, etc commands are not directly present, but
the executable lvm is, which can do all those things. When you run lvm,
you will get a new prompt, where you type lvm commands.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Jim Andreu

Duane Clark wrote:

Kirk Lowery wrote:

Reading the man page on resize2fs, it notes: "As of this writing, the
Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted
using ext3 only." Yet when I used the LVM GUI app, it choked at this
step, saying it couldn't unmount the root filesystem. That's
understandable, but it raises the question: can one use resize2fs from
a commandline while running fedora with the root filesystem mounted?

In a similar situation, I booted from the DVD in "linux rescue" mode.
I found that when it asked whether I wanted it to find and mount
partitions, I needed to hit "skip". If I allowed it to mount the root
partition, I could not unmount it.

In rescue mode, the vgscan, etc commands are not directly present, but
the executable lvm is, which can do all those things. When you run lvm,
you will get a new prompt, where you type lvm commands.

I was able to resize the mounted filesystem without going into rescue mode.
This was a remote system where "hands on" was not available.
I exited the GUI with the LV at the desired size.
I then did a resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 from the command line
as root.

It warned me but did it.
It took a while.
I used up a good amount of Tums but it worked as advertised.

Cheers

--
All that's needed for Microsoft to succeed is for good programmers to do nothing.

believed to be clean.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
"Kirk Lowery"

On Jan 31, 2008 2:54 PM, Jim Andreu <rms@andreu.org> wrote:
> Duane Clark wrote:
> > Kirk Lowery wrote:
> >>
> >> Reading the man page on resize2fs, it notes: "As of this writing, the
> >> Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted
> >> using ext3 only." Yet when I used the LVM GUI app, it choked at this
> >> step, saying it couldn't unmount the root filesystem. That's
> >> understandable, but it raises the question: can one use resize2fs from
> >> a commandline while running fedora with the root filesystem mounted?
> >
> > In a similar situation, I booted from the DVD in "linux rescue" mode.
> > I found that when it asked whether I wanted it to find and mount
> > partitions, I needed to hit "skip". If I allowed it to mount the root
> > partition, I could not unmount it.
> >
> > In rescue mode, the vgscan, etc commands are not directly present, but
> > the executable lvm is, which can do all those things. When you run lvm,
> > you will get a new prompt, where you type lvm commands.
> >
> I was able to resize the mounted filesystem without going into rescue mode.
> This was a remote system where "hands on" was not available.
> I exited the GUI with the LV at the desired size.
> I then did a resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 from the command line
> as root.
> It warned me but did it.
> It took a while.
> I used up a good amount of Tums but it worked as advertised.

lvextend required me to unmount root, so I had to use the Fedora 8
rescue disk. But then I booted back into Fedora, and did the
resize2fs, which worked just as you said. No problems.

For the knowledgebase, here are the steps I took to add a second hard
drive to my desktop root filesystem:

1. Install the new hard drive
2. Boot into Fedora (8)
3. Partition the new harddrive using cfdisk (/dev/sdb in my case): I
chose to partition the entire drive as one primary linux partition
4. Using the LVM gui, I
a. Created the physical volume (commandline pvcreate)
b. Merge the new physical volume into the root volume Group
VolGroup00 (vgextend)
5. Boot with the rescue disk
6. Using lvextend, extend the logical volume
7. Boot back into Fedora and run the resize2fs command

You could do all this from the rescue disk commandline, but doing what
one can through the gui is easier, IMO.

Thanks for the advise.

Kirk