Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
James Kosin

Default Question for the TV engineers

John Wendel wrote:

~ (c) Using a splitter?
(c) Yes, 2

Two splitters on the same connection??

-James

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net

Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
John Wendel

James Kosin wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

~ (c) Using a splitter?
(c) Yes, 2

Two splitters on the same connection??

-James

Yes, I split the main cable connection into 2 cables (6-foot to TV,
20-foot to computer) and then split the computer cable into 2 6-foot
cables for 2 computers. Have I violated some limit?

Thanks for your help.

John

Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
James Kosin

John Wendel wrote:

James Kosin wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

~ (c) Using a splitter?
(c) Yes, 2

Two splitters on the same connection??

-James

Yes, I split the main cable connection into 2 cables (6-foot to TV,
20-foot to computer) and then split the computer cable into 2 6-foot
cables for 2 computers. Have I violated some limit?

Thanks for your help.

John

No, not exactly.

Every splitter in the chain will cause a signal loss of about 3dB on
average. 3dB compares to about 1/2 the signal is lost. Cable companies
can make up for this loss by providing an amplifier to the signal coming
into the house; but, they really don't like doing that.

You may want to contact your cable company and request a service visit
to check the signal quality. They have equipment to measure quality and
may even have a solution for your problem.

Good Luck,

-James

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net

Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
John Wendel

James Kosin wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

James Kosin wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the help. I'll try things without the splitters. And
I'll shutup for now unless I solve the problem with a Fedora related fix.

Regards,

John

Old 01-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:30 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> Yes, I split the main cable connection into 2 cables (6-foot to TV,
> 20-foot to computer) and then split the computer cable into 2 6-foot
> cables for 2 computers. Have I violated some limit?

As James said, that introduces losses, which may or may not be a problem
(signal strength, and the input stages of the devices determine that).
You could try one splitter that has four outputs, but then find that the
loss in the long cables is just as bad as the loss from the splitters.

Another option is TEE points. Not the same as T-piece connectors that
people used with the old BNC LAN cabling (two BNC sockets and one BNC
plug, all wired directly together). One signal line goes from the
signal source around the premises until the last place you need a feed.
Each feed is a TEE that takes a sniff off the cable, in a manner that
keeps the lines properly terminated and doesn't attenuate the signal
passing through the TEE onto the next one.

That sort of wiring tends to handle having a feed unplugged without
disrupting the rest, some splitters don't handle unplugging some of the
cables very well.

Termination and cable quality will affect operation, too. Not to
mention the quality of the splitters. If your splitters and/or
connectors come with guides about how to trim the cable to right lengths
for attaching to the terminals, then follow them to the letter.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Michael Klinosky

John:

First, some simple questions:
~ (a) Is the computer grounded 3-wire plug and all?

(a) Yes

Furthermore, is the building's electrical system properly wired? The
ground lug needs to be connected to ground. You'd need a plug-in tester
to be sure.

Or, are you using an adapter on a 2-prong outlet?