Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Helping people. (Was: Example of get nVidia)

Les wrote:

Also if Karl doesn't get it, there will be other much more timid folk
who also don't get it. When the answer that Karl understands is added
to the archives, more people benefit than Karl. I know this from years
of teaching people complex topics in Test Engineering. I could tell you
some good stories about some classes, but those people were also serious
about learning. Better to have helped them than to upset them or tease
them. In turn they helped their friends and their company. They become
better thought of, the company's profit increases, and everyone is a
winner. Not hard, just hard to keep your composure sometimes.

So, what do you do when you have a student that will not read the
book, will not do the homework assignments, and argues that he know
better then the teacher? That when you try to correct his mistakes,
he calls you names?

I have seen many people helped on the list that didn't understand.
The difference is that when they do not understand something, they
tell you what they don't understand, and get it explained to them in
simpler terms, and/or get pointers to where they can find the
information to help them understand.

There are times when step by step instructions are the way to handle
things, but more often, it is better to help them find the
information they need, or accompany the instructions with
explanations of what the instructions do. Help them learn - don't do
the work for them!

I have to question weather Fedora is the right distribution for
someone that needs step by step instructions, instead of being able
to read the instructions on a web page when it is pointed out to
them. I know it is not the distribution I would recommend to someone
for their first Linux distribution. It is not for someone that can
not do their own research, or understand the technical language. You
should also have at least some problem solving skill. If you need
someone to take you by the hand, and walk you through things, you
are in the wrong place. Using Fedora requires effort on the part of
the user to understand things.

Mikkel