Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 AM
cheng chen

Default VESA mode with 1366x768 monitor

I got a 1366x768 monitor, which kernel option value of "vga="*should I use? I where i can find this option list?*shortly,16bit 1024x768 vga=317
32bit 1366x768 vga=?
Thanks.
--
Cheng(*)

Fedora Project Contributor -- Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Freakrobot

VEDA Open Source Club co-founderhttp://www.vedaclub.org/_______________________________________________

My Page:*http://gnudam.webgarden.com

Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 17:59 +0800, cheng chen wrote:
> I got a 1366x768 monitor, which kernel option value of "vga=" should I
> use? I where i can find this option list?
> shortly,
> 16bit 1024x768 vga=317
> 32bit 1366x768 vga=?

boot with vga=ask, it'll scan and return a list of possible modes.
Extended Vesa modes (such 720*, 1080*) tend to be graphics card BIOS
specific.

--
Gilboa Davara
http://www.wirex-systems.com

Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 AM
cheng chen

Oh, I see. there is no 1366x768x32 vesa mode.
So if I got a 16:9 monitor and I want to draw circle with framebuffer. It can never be a circle in display.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM, cheng chen <freakrobot@acm.org> wrote:
> Oh, I see. there is no 1366x768x32 vesa mode.
> So if I got a 16:9 monitor and I want to draw circle with framebuffer. It
> can never be a circle in display.

There is a distinction between the physical aspect ratio and the pixel
aspect ratio. Most displays have square pixels now, so should still
draw correctly depending on how the display shows that non-standard
resolution (does it center the image or stretch it).

Old 10-03-2010, 12:49 PM
cheng chen

you mean that *i should change the image ratio by the program i write? That's a solution.
another question:*
I find if I run into "init level 5" with the x running, then I can't using ctrl+alt+f2 to switch to tty2(just a black bright screen).
when I need to use framebuffer i have to change the /etc/inittab to level 3 and restart.
Is that because 1366x768 is managed by graphic card and the tty console is managed by framebuffer device which can not be showed in the 16:9 ratio with 1366x768?