Old 10-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Aaron Gray

Default VSFTPD 421 Service not availabl

I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not install VSFTPD with it.
On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to function.

[root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhostTrying ::1...

ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refusedTrying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

ftp> quit
I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11 server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly the same responce.

Help,
Aaron

Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Gregory Woodbury

I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not install VSFTPD with it.
On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to function.

[root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhostTrying ::1...

ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refusedTrying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

ftp> quit
I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11 server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly the same responce.

su* -c /sbin/chkconfig vsftpd on
su -c /sbin/service vsftpd start

HTH
--
G.Wolfe Woodbury

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
stan

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 23:37:40 +0100
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not
> install VSFTPD with it.
>
> On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to
> function.
>
> [root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhost
> Trying ::1...
> ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> ftp> quit
>
> I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11
> server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly
> the same responce.

This is probably a problem with the firewall. Did you open ports 20
and 21?

And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high
range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use. You have
to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration. I also had to
open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.

If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned
on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what
it is too.

It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Aaron Gray

I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not install VSFTPD with it.
On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to function.

[root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhostTrying ::1...

ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refusedTrying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

ftp> quit
I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11 server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly the same responce.

su* -c /sbin/chkconfig vsftpd on
su -c /sbin/service vsftpd start

Still getting a 421
Aaron

*

Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Aaron Gray

> I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not

> install VSFTPD with it.

> On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to

> function.

> [root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhost

> Trying ::1...

> ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refused

> Trying 127.0.0.1...

> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).

> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

> ftp> quit

> I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11

> server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly

> the same responce.

This is probably a problem with the firewall. *Did you open ports 20

and 21?

And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high

range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use. *You have

to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration. *I also had to

open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.

If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned

on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what

it is too.

It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.

My other F11 server is working fine, and that does not have any extras.
Aaron

*

Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Aaron Gray

> I have installed a fresh version of F11, unfortunately I did not

> install VSFTPD with it.

> On doing a "yum install vsftpd" it install fine but does not seem to

> function.

> [root@zzz vsftpd]# ftp localhost

> Trying ::1...

> ftp: connect to address ::1Connection refused

> Trying 127.0.0.1...

> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).

> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

> ftp> quit

> I copied the 'vsftpd.conf' and 'users' directory from my working F11

> server this one is supposed to be mirroring, but am getting exactly

> the same responce.

This is probably a problem with the firewall. *Did you open ports 20

and 21?

And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high

range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use. *You have

to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration. *I also had to

open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.

If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned

on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what

it is too.

It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.

My other F11 server is working fine, and that does not have any extras.

Its not iptables, thats exactly the same across the two machines.
Aaron*

Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Sam Sharpe

On 3 October 2010 00:41, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 October 2010 23:58, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2 October 2010 23:56, stan <gryt2@q.com> wrote:

>>> This is probably a problem with the firewall. *Did you open ports 20
>>> and 21?
>>>
>>> And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high
>>> range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use. *You have
>>> to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration. *I also had to
>>> open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.
>>>
>>> If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned
>>> on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what
>>> it is too.
>>>
>>> It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.
>>
>> My other F11 server is working fine, and that does not have any extras.
>
> Its not iptables, thats exactly the same across the two machines.
> Aaron

I find the best way to deal with this kind of problem is some
elementary research. I started with Google:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&q=vsftpd+421

The first Search Result might help you immensely.
--
Sam

Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 AM
stan

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:41:57 +0100
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its not iptables, thats exactly the same across the two machines.

It's strange it isn't working. What responses do you get if you type

ftp -v <your server address>

That should show you the flow from the client side and give you a hint
about where it is failing.

And you can still turn on logging for the server to see what it is
seeing in the exchange.

man vsftpd.conf

I can't remember which option I used now, but I think it was
log_ftp_protocol. This puts the log output in /var/log/vsftpd.log.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Aaron Gray

On 3 October 2010 01:35, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@samsharpe.net> wrote:

On 3 October 2010 00:41, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 October 2010 23:58, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 2 October 2010 23:56, stan <gryt2@q.com> wrote:

>>> This is probably a problem with the firewall. *Did you open ports 20

>>> and 21?

>>> And if you are using passive ftp you should open some ports in the high

>>> range, so there is a hole in the firewall for vsftpd to use. *You have

>>> to tell vsftpd to use those ports in the configuration. *I also had to

>>> open the service on my router, but that might not be an issue for you.

>>> If I recall correctly, there is a logging function that can be turned

>>> on and it is really useful for decoding where the problem is and what

>>> it is too.

>>> It's been a few years since I used vsftpd, so this is somewhat hazy.

>> My other F11 server is working fine, and that does not have any extras.

> Its not iptables, thats exactly the same across the two machines.

> Aaron

I find the best way to deal with this kind of problem is some

elementary research. I started with Google:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&q=vsftpd+421

The first Search Result might help you immensely.

Yep its SELinux !
Are there any rule files for this I can just load ?
Aaron

Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Daniel J Walsh

On 10/02/2010 10:28 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> On 3 October 2010 01:35, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@samsharpe.net> wrote:

>>> Its not iptables, thats exactly the same across the two machines.
>>> Aaron
>>
>> I find the best way to deal with this kind of problem is some
>> elementary research. I started with Google:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&q=vsftpd+421
>>
>> The first Search Result might help you immensely.
>>

> Yep its SELinux !
>
> Are there any rule files for this I can just load ?
>
> Aaron

What AVC messages are you getting in /var/log/audit/audit.log?