Old 10-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Samuel Kidman

Default [RESOLVED[ Seperate audio outputs for fedora- is this limited by my soundcard or the number of outputs on my motherboard?

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM, stan <gryt2@q.com> wrote:

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 01:11:01 +0800

Samuel Kidman <samkidman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to play one audio source through my headphones (say

> from one application) and then play another audio source through my

> line out port (from another application). Is this possible?

Short answer, no.

I think there are some very high end audio cards that have more than

one processing pipeline, but I have never owned one. *With a standard

card, this is not possible because the "engine" can only process one

stream at a time. *The analog output has to go to the output device

continuously, so it can't do more than one at a time because there is

no time. :-) *In other words, to have two sound streams running

simultaneously to different outputs, you have to have two sound

devices. *Jack and pulseaudio solve a different problem; mixing

multiple inputs before sending them to the "engine", and routing the

output to multiple places.

Just buy a cheap USB soundcard (get one that adheres to the standard,

or if it doesn't, has been reverse engineered to work in alsa), and you

can do what you want. *Desktop users can use USB, but also can use a

cheap PCI card also.

Hi Stan

Thanks for that informative answer.

Regards, Sam