Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Silent-Hunter

Default links, mc, lynx, etc. No console mouse support.

I cannot seem to get console mouse support working. GPM works for
copy/paste, but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo. Can anyone help me get
mouse access without having to be root?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 PM
stan

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 01:17:36 -0700
Silent-Hunter <cheery314@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot seem to get console mouse support working. GPM works for
> copy/paste, but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
> mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo. Can anyone help me get
> mouse access without having to be root?

Running a default install of F12 this works fine. Which version of
Fedora are you running? Have you checked that the service is started
when you boot? i.e. chkconfig --list gpm

You can check if starting the service solves the problem by running

service gpm restart

as root user (or sudo).

Old 10-02-2010, 05:30 PM
JD

On 10/02/2010 01:17 AM, Silent-Hunter wrote:
> I cannot seem to get console mouse support working. GPM works for
> copy/paste, but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
> mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo. Can anyone help me get
> mouse access without having to be root?

I just ran lynx as root. All I can do with the mouse is copy and paste.
So, I do not understand what you mean when you say
> but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
> mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo
What functionality do you get in lynx when you run it as root,
besides copy and paste?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Silent-Hunter

On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, JD wrote:

> On 10/02/2010 01:17 AM, Silent-Hunter wrote:
>> I cannot seem to get console mouse support working. GPM works for
>> copy/paste, but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
>> mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo. Can anyone help me get
>> mouse access without having to be root?
>
> I just ran lynx as root. All I can do with the mouse is copy and paste.
> So, I do not understand what you mean when you say
> > but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
> > mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo
> What functionality do you get in lynx when you run it as root,
> besides copy and paste?

I can click on the scrollbars, and scroll down. You'd have to have the
scrollbars enabled. It's not Lynx I'm most wanting the mouse for. It's
MC and Links.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Silent-Hunter

On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, stan wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 01:17:36 -0700
> Silent-Hunter<cheery314@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I cannot seem to get console mouse support working. GPM works for
>> copy/paste, but Lynx, Midnight Commander, and Links will not use the
>> mouse unless I run them as root or with sudo. Can anyone help me get
>> mouse access without having to be root?
> Running a default install of F12 this works fine. Which version of
> Fedora are you running? Have you checked that the service is started
> when you boot? i.e. chkconfig --list gpm
>
> You can check if starting the service solves the problem by running
>
> service gpm restart
>
> as root user (or sudo).

It's running. I can use GPM to copy and paste. The problem is that in
programs like Links and Midnight Commander, I get only copy and paste.
GPM is supposed to allow those programs to have full mouse support. I am
using Fedora 13.