Old 10-02-2010, 05:41 AM
Robert Arkiletian

Default Kernel 2.6.35 Receive packet steering for F13 ?

kernel 2.6.35 comes with RPS (Receive packet steering )
http://lwn.net/Articles/362339/

wondering if F13 already has this in 2.6.34?

I can't find a 2.6.35 kernel for F13 on koji. I want RPS in F13 any ideas?

--
Robert Arkiletian

Old 10-02-2010, 03:44 PM
stan

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 22:41:37 -0700
Robert Arkiletian <robark@gmail.com> wrote:

> kernel 2.6.35 comes with RPS (Receive packet steering )
> http://lwn.net/Articles/362339/
>
> wondering if F13 already has this in 2.6.34?

You could download the source rpm for the kernel you are running

yumdownloader --source kernel

and install it in your home directory

rpmdev setuptree
rpm -ivh kernel-*

then check the patches to see if it has been patched by the Fedora
kernel devs for this feature.

> I can't find a 2.6.35 kernel for F13 on koji. I want RPS in F13 any
> ideas?

You could compile the kernel.org kernel from source. I don't do that,
but have seen people on this list mention in the past that they run the
latest and greatest from kernel.org without problems.

You might have to do a

rpmbuild -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel.spec

in the /home/<your id>/rpmbuild/SPEC directory before you can see this.

Full instructions for building a kernel fromt the source RPM are at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

This includes information on how to patch the kernel you are building,
so if you *really* want the feature you could backport it yourself from
the 2.6.35 kernel if you find it isn't already in the Fedora kernel.