Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Aaron Gray

Default F13 DNS (client) not working

On 2 October 2010 05:28, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

On 10/01/2010 06:20 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:

> > * * * # chkconfig --list NetworkManager

> > NetworkManager *0ff * 1ff * 2n * *3n * *4n * *5n * *6ff

> > * * * # chkconfig --list network

> > network * * * * 0ff * 1ff * 2ff * 3ff * 4ff * 5ff * 6ff

*Well your original mail said you were using network service but in

fact network is off and NetworkManager is on. If you're really using

network then you need to turn it on and turn off NetworkManager.

*If you're using NetworkManager then you're not setting it up right.

*If you are using network - as your mail suggests then please:

*chkconfig NetworkManager off

*chkconfig network on

*service NetworkManager stop

*(fix your settings) and then

*service network start

* *(or restart)

I did not know they were mutually exclusive. AFAICT on existing and previous Fedora Servers I have just used network AFAICT.
Nayway this does not work either...going back to F11...

Aaron

Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Tim

JD:

>> Since you have a static IP address, then you need to
>> populate /etc/resolv.conf.

Aaron Gray:
> I have done that but as soon as I do a "service network restart" it is
> blanked again.

I would try: Stop the network service. Edit the configuration files.
Start the network service.

If you're modifying the files while the service is running, it could be
reverting to backups when stopping/restarting.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Genes MailLists

On 10/02/2010 09:23 AM, Tim wrote:

> I would try: Stop the network service. Edit the configuration files.
> Start the network service.
>
> If you're modifying the files while the service is running, it could be
> reverting to backups when stopping/restarting.

Looking over what he did - it seems he used network manager to config
the connection (or at least edited the ifcfg files which NM owns) ..
then changed them and started network service on top - so both network
services are now competing which is a right old mess.

He chose to revert to f11 instead of just turning off NM for some
reason ...

I think he should have turned off NM and gone about his merry way ..

But its not my machine!

g/

Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Aaron Gray

> I would try: *Stop the network service. *Edit the configuration files.

> Start the network service.

> If you're modifying the files while the service is running, it could be

> reverting to backups when stopping/restarting.

*Looking over what he did - it seems he used network manager to config

the connection (or at least edited the ifcfg files which NM owns) ..

then changed them and started network service on top - so both network

services are now competing which is a right old mess.

*He chose to revert to f11 instead of just turning off NM for some

reason ...

*I think he should have turned off NM and gone about his merry way ..

*But its not my machine!

Going back to F11 for now seemed better
Aaron