Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Samuel Kidman

Default sound-level activated recording

Hello all

Does anyone know of a tool chain or a way of scripting this:

1. start recording from a line-in port as soon as the sound level goes above a certain threshold
2.stop recording after it goes below the threshold for a certain amount of time,

3. save the whole recording in some kind of PCM format with the file name being the time and date the recording started.

One possible application could be security, but the application I'm going to use it for is recording music.

Just looking for some resources or maybe one of you has done this before?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Mike Klinke

On Friday 01 October 2010 01:33, Samuel Kidman wrote:

>the application I'm going to use it for is recording music.

I've used "sox" for recording LP's to disk from time to time. It
works for the most part but you'll probably have to help it along
to split the album into tracks by lifting the needle from the
record surface with the lifting arm in order to meet the required
number of seconds of silence for the software trigger to take
effect since many albums have little or no silence between the
songs.

"man sox" has an example invocation for this type of recording. Take
a look at the parameter "silence". You can define the threshold
and duration of the "silence".

Regards, Mike Klinke

Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Samuel Kidman

Hello All

I would like to thank Mike and another person who replied to me personally who will remain anonymous for your help in solving this for me. sox should be a fantastic resource and I look forward to receiving the source code suggested by anonymous.

I will give credit to anonymous for his program, but at first I aim to respect privacy.

Regards, Sam