Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Genes MailLists

Default Fedora user base

On 09/30/2010 11:04 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>
>> Ok. Maybe I shouldn't really ask this, but I think honesty is important
>> even if it is a bit unpleasant. How big is the Fedora user base and
>> how was that measured?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

Will this capture the install base in any way for those who mirror the
repo's for internal updates (for > 1 machine usually) ...

Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Tony Molloy

On Friday 01 October 2010 05:26:50 Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 11:04 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> >> Ok. Maybe I shouldn't really ask this, but I think honesty is important
> >> even if it is a bit unpleasant. How big is the Fedora user base and
> >> how was that measured?
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
>
> Will this capture the install base in any way for those who mirror the
> repo's for internal updates (for > 1 machine usually) ...

Well I've got 200+ Fedora 13 installs at the moment on a private network
pulling updates from a local repo. So they won't be counted in any statistics.

I can't see any way of getting a size for the Fedora user base.

Regards,

Tony

Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Genes MailLists

On 10/01/2010 04:16 AM, Tony Molloy wrote:

> Well I've got 200+ Fedora 13 installs at the moment on a private network
> pulling updates from a local repo. So they won't be counted in any statistics.
>
> I can't see any way of getting a size for the Fedora user base.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

I wonder if having smolt registrations have 3 states :

1) Register existance with no data

2) register with smolt details

3) do nothing

We dont do (1) today ... might be a nice default - will still miss all
hosts which only allow proxy access to outside but would give more than
have today.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Rex Dieter

Genes MailLists wrote:

> On 09/30/2010 11:04 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>
>>> Ok. Maybe I shouldn't really ask this, but I think honesty is important
>>> even if it is a bit unpleasant. How big is the Fedora user base and
>>> how was that measured?
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
>>

> Will this capture the install base in any way for those who mirror the
> repo's for internal updates (for > 1 machine usually) ...

Yes (for those still using mirrormanager anyway)

-- Rex