Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default generating PDF's via code - looking for ideas

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 09:54:17 -0600,
list user <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm looking for a way to generate a PDF report based on a set of data in a
> database and a set of pre-generated graphs via some sort of procedural
> method based on a template.
>
> We tried to do this via open office & it's templating features but this
> process requires us to first generate an odt file based on xml and then open
> the open office odt file and export to a PDF, unfortunately our first stab
> generated a 150GB odt file. This is of course an unacceptable method. So,
> I'm looking for a way to generate PDF's straight away as described above.
> Anyone have any ideas?

I have seen projects (e.g. Postgres) use a docbook tool chain for building
pdf documents. Would that be a usable approach for you?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

On 09/30/2010 11:54 AM, list user wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to generate a PDF report based on a set of data in
> a database and a set of pre-generated graphs via some sort of procedural
> method based on a template.
> method. So, I'm looking for a way to generate PDF's straight away as
> described above. Anyone have any ideas?

We use perl scripts to generate an html file, which is easy to do.

Then we convert the html to PDF on-the-fly with htmldoc.

It actually works quite well.

- Mike

Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, list user wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to generate a PDF report based on a set of data in a
> database and a set of pre-generated graphs via some sort of procedural
> method based on a template.

One can generate postscript with printf.
In the pre-pdf days,
that was how I made the diagrams for my masters thesis.
genps | ps2pdf > output.pdf

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Scott Karlin

On 09/30/10 11:54, list user wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm looking for a way to generate a PDF report based on a set of data in
> a database and a set of pre-generated graphs via some sort of procedural
> method based on a template.
>
> We tried to do this via open office & it's templating features but this
> process requires us to first generate an odt file based on xml and then
> open the open office odt file and export to a PDF, unfortunately our
> first stab generated a 150GB odt file. This is of course an unacceptable
> method. So, I'm looking for a way to generate PDF's straight away as
> described above. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance

Check out ReportLab:
http://www.reportlab.com/software/opensource/

Scott

Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM, list user <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm looking for a way to generate a PDF report based on a set of data in a
> database and a set of pre-generated graphs via some sort of procedural
> method based on a template.
>
> We tried to do this via open office & it's templating features but this
> process requires us to first generate an odt file based on xml and then open
> the open office odt file and export to a PDF, unfortunately our first stab
> generated a 150GB odt file. This is of course an unacceptable method. So,
> I'm looking for a way to generate PDF's straight away as described above.
> Anyone have any ideas?

This was a thread in our local LUG:
http://www.flux.org/pipermail/linux/2009-April/021247.html

I use a similar process to generate a text file that gets passed
through a script to generate a PDF report..