Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
"Scott Ford"

Default FC 13 - 64bit and Ruby

All:
*
I have a question
concerning how to download a workable version of Ruby. When I YUM INSTALL
RUBY* i get ruby 1.8.6 which is great no issue but I want to do some Rails
development work and
the Rails
requirement is 1.8.7 or 1.9.2 so how do i point YUM to the correct
Ruby.
*
Thanks in
advance
*
Running:*
Windows 7* - 64bit
**************
Virtualbox
**************
SUSE 11.3
**************
Fedora Core 12(32bit)
**************
Fedora Core 13(64bit)
*
*
Regards,
Scott Ford
Senior Systems Engineer
*
[mobile] 609-346-0399
[direct]** 678-266-3399
x304
*
identityforge.com http://identityforge.com
*
privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received
it in error, please notify the sender immediately or let us know at idFinfo@identityforge.com , and then delete the original. Any other use of his email
by you is prohibited.
*
*
*

Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Samuel Kidman

[...]

have you tried

yum install ruby-devel

?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM
"Scott Ford"

I tried:* 'yum install ruby-devel' and received
this:
*
ruby-devel.x86-64 0:1.8.6.399-6.fc13
*
So i assume its 1.8.6 am i correct if so , 1.8.7 must be
hiding out
*
Scott Ford
Senior Systems Engineer
*
[mobile] 609-346-0399
[direct]** 678-266-3399
x304
*
[...]

contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately or let us
know at idFinfo@identityforge.com , and then delete the original. Any other use of his
email by you is prohibited.
*
*
*
Guidelines:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

have
you tried

yum install ruby-devel

?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Samuel Kidman

[...]

OK you can build and install ruby 1,9,2 here
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Ted Roche

concerning how to download a workable version of Ruby. When I YUM INSTALL
RUBY* i get ruby 1.8.6 which is great no issue but I want to do some Rails
development work and
the Rails
requirement is 1.8.7 or 1.9.2 so how do i point YUM to the correct
Ruby.
If you're going to get involved in Ruby/Rails development, you really don't want the distribution's repositories to control your version(s) of Ruby, nor the gems you install. You also don't want the overhead of building from tarballs yourself. Check out the Ruby Version Manager, rvm, at*http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/. It allows you to have multiple Rubies installed side-by-side and has some more advanced options for managing separate gemsets or configuring specialized configurations like REE, Ruby Enterprise Edition.
*--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com