Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default qemu access to the native CD-ROM on f8?

i'm sure i'm screwing up something simple but i'm trying to use the
basic qemu PC system emulator and the linux image
"linux-0.2.img[.bz2]" here:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/download.html

to access my native CD-ROM.

it's a piece of cake to invoke the emulator thusly:

$ qemu linux-0.2.img

and i can even see a reference to the "QEMU CD-ROM" go blazing by
during the boot process. but after that ... nothing.

the online qemu docs here:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC20

*seem* to suggest that i should simply have access automatically via
the device file /dev/cdrom, but the qemu session has no such file.

and the situation on the host system:

$ ls -l /dev/{cdrom,scd0,sr0}
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/scd0 -> sr0
brw-rw-rw-+ 1 root disk 11, 0 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/sr0
$

so i certainly seem to have sufficient device files on the host, and
the actual device file has world R/W access. thoughts?

rday

p.s. um ... what's with that "+" at the end of the access rights for
/dev/sr0? that's a new one for me. i guess i just never noticed it
before.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
"Andras Simon"

On 1/21/08, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> i'm sure i'm screwing up something simple but i'm trying to use the
> basic qemu PC system emulator and the linux image
> "linux-0.2.img[.bz2]" here:
>
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/download.html
>
> to access my native CD-ROM.
>
> it's a piece of cake to invoke the emulator thusly:
>
> $ qemu linux-0.2.img
>
> and i can even see a reference to the "QEMU CD-ROM" go blazing by
> during the boot process. but after that ... nothing.
>
> the online qemu docs here:
>
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC20
>
> *seem* to suggest that i should simply have access automatically via
> the device file /dev/cdrom, but the qemu session has no such file.
>
> and the situation on the host system:
>
> $ ls -l /dev/{cdrom,scd0,sr0}
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/scd0 -> sr0
> brw-rw-rw-+ 1 root disk 11, 0 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/sr0
> $
>
> so i certainly seem to have sufficient device files on the host, and
> the actual device file has world R/W access. thoughts?

I think you should start qemu with

qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom linux-0.2.img

Andras

Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Andras Simon wrote:

> On 1/21/08, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > i'm sure i'm screwing up something simple but i'm trying to use the
> > basic qemu PC system emulator and the linux image
> > "linux-0.2.img[.bz2]" here:
> >
> > http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/download.html
> >
> > to access my native CD-ROM.
> >
> > it's a piece of cake to invoke the emulator thusly:
> >
> > $ qemu linux-0.2.img
> >
> > and i can even see a reference to the "QEMU CD-ROM" go blazing by
> > during the boot process. but after that ... nothing.
> >
> > the online qemu docs here:
> >
> > http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC20
> >
> > *seem* to suggest that i should simply have access automatically via
> > the device file /dev/cdrom, but the qemu session has no such file.
> >
> > and the situation on the host system:
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/{cdrom,scd0,sr0}
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/scd0 -> sr0
> > brw-rw-rw-+ 1 root disk 11, 0 2008-01-18 08:56 /dev/sr0
> > $
> >
> > so i certainly seem to have sufficient device files on the host, and
> > the actual device file has world R/W access. thoughts?
>
> I think you should start qemu with
>
> qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom linux-0.2.img

i've tried that, and every variation of that i could think of
(/dev/sr0, /dev/scd0). but, as i said earlier, i don't think the
"-cdrom" option is for assigning devices, i think it's for associating
*image files* with devices. in any event, the above still doesn't
show me an available CD device from within QEMU.

i'm wondering if it's related to the *type* of optical device -- this
is a dual-layer DVD burner. would that somehow make it unrecognizable
as a simple CD device? has *anyone* done this and got it to see the
CD device?

rday

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Sur

[...]

that should work, read Invocation section carefully:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC10

when you use -cdrom, the device always becomes /dev/hdc on guest, so
-hdc and -cdrom options are mutually exclusive.

If you're still having problems, it could be related to Selinux
security, check /var/log/audit/audit.log for related bits.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Sur wrote:

> * Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 01/21/2008 09:23 PM:

... snip ...

> > > qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom linux-0.2.img
> >
> > i've tried that, and every variation of that i could think of
> > (/dev/sr0, /dev/scd0). but, as i said earlier, i don't think the
> > "-cdrom" option is for assigning devices, i think it's for associating
> > *image files* with devices. in any event, the above still doesn't
> > show me an available CD device from within QEMU.
>
> that should work, read Invocation section carefully:
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC10
>
> when you use -cdrom, the device always becomes /dev/hdc on guest, so
> -hdc and -cdrom options are mutually exclusive.

darn, you're right -- but i'm still curious as to how i should have
known that the CD-ROM would be available in the QEMU session as
/dev/hdc. now that i read the above, you can *deduce* that, but it
certainly doesn't come right out and say it.

and on that online page, in section 3.3, you can read:

"You can use the host CD-ROM by using `/dev/cdrom' as filename."

which is why i was looking for that device file in the QEMU session.
certainly, that page could be written more clearly. :-) thanks
muchly -- i'll be adding that to the QEMU wiki page shortly.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Sur

i've tried that, and every variation of that i could think of
(/dev/sr0, /dev/scd0). but, as i said earlier, i don't think the
"-cdrom" option is for assigning devices, i think it's for associating
*image files* with devices. in any event, the above still doesn't
show me an available CD device from within QEMU.

that should work, read Invocation section carefully:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC10

when you use -cdrom, the device always becomes /dev/hdc on guest, so
-hdc and -cdrom options are mutually exclusive.

darn, you're right -- but i'm still curious as to how i should have
known that the CD-ROM would be available in the QEMU session as
/dev/hdc. now that i read the above, you can *deduce* that, but it
certainly doesn't come right out and say it.

that's a very dense doc, I suggest you read it top to bottom and join
the bits.

QEMU generally takes time to get familiar with.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Sur wrote:

> * Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 01/21/2008 10:19 PM:

> > darn, you're right -- but i'm still curious as to how i should
> > have known that the CD-ROM would be available in the QEMU session
> > as /dev/hdc. now that i read the above, you can *deduce* that,
> > but it certainly doesn't come right out and say it.
>
> that's a very dense doc, I suggest you read it top to bottom and
> join the bits. QEMU generally takes time to get familiar with.

that may be true, but it's still frustrating that that simple fact is
not explained clearly anywhere on that web page. in fact, the
filename "/dev/hdc" occurs absolutely nowhere on that page. that
strikes me as a bit of an oversight which has real potential to lead
to confusion.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
John Summerfield

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

i'm sure i'm screwing up something simple but i'm trying to use the
basic qemu PC system emulator and the linux image
"linux-0.2.img[.bz2]" here:

Run virt-install and see what it does (you can get the commandline while
it's running the install, and when you try this with xen it's logged in
/var/log/xen).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 PM
John Summerfield

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

darn, you're right -- but i'm still curious as to how i should have
known that the CD-ROM would be available in the QEMU session as
/dev/hdc. now that i read the above, you can *deduce* that, but it
certainly doesn't come right out and say it.

I think I did know that; I read it someplace but whether it was for xen
or qemu I'm not sure. Probably, I read it in virt* docs or xen docs.

but anyway, this is always worth a go:

dmesg | grep hd