Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Jim

Default Fwd: jackd can't find backend

FC13/KDE

I having problems with jackd not starting, because it can't find a
backend

Which one do I use pulseaudio or alsa ?

There is no output in /var/log/messages for jackd.

Here is the output of running "jackd"

$ jackd

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

usage: jackd [ --no-realtime OR -r ]

************ [ --realtime OR -R [ --realtime-priority OR -P priority
] ]

***** (the two previous arguments are mutually exclusive. The
default is --realtime)

************ [ --name OR -n server-name ]

************ [ --no-mlock OR -m ]

************ [ --unlock OR -u ]

************ [ --timeout OR -t client-timeout-in-msecs ]

************ [ --port-max OR -p maximum-number-of-ports]

************ [ --debug-timer OR -D ]

************ [ --no-sanity-checks OR -N ]

************ [ --verbose OR -v ]

************ [ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]

************ [ --replace-registry ]

************ [ --silent OR -s ]

************ [ --version OR -V ]

************ [ --nozombies OR -Z ]

******

* -d backend [ ... backend args ... ]

************ Available backends may include: alsa, dummy, freebob,
firewire, net, oss, sun, or portaudio.

****** jackd -d backend --help

************ to display options for each backend

[mickey@Acer ~]$ jackd -d backend --help

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

jackd: unknown driver 'backend'

# jackd -d pulseaudio

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

jackd: unknown driver 'pulseaudio'

[root@Acer mickey]# jackd -d alsa

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

control device hw:0

the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again

cannot load driver module alsa

There are no other applications using the sound system.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 AM
john wendel

On 09/29/2010 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:

> [...]
> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
> and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> jackd: unknown driver 'pulseaudio'
>

> [root@Acer mickey]# jackd -d alsa
> jackd 0.118.0
> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
> and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
> application using it and run JACK again
>
> cannot load driver module alsa
>

> There are no other applications using the sound system.

Do you have pulseaudio running? If so, stop it first, then run jackd -d
alsa. You'll probably also need to make some config file changes, but
jackd will tell you what to change. I'm still trying to learn this stuff
myself.

Regards,

John