Old 01-01-1970, 01:00 AM
James Mckenzie

Default OpenOffice to LibreOffice

Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

>>> I doubt there are 100's of 1,000's of business' running opensolaris ...
>> Solaris runs all over USA, Europe, Asia and Africa and South America.
>> Yes --- there are that many installations.
>> Relative to market size, it is a small ratio to be sure.
>>
>The discussion (at least from me) was more about Opensolaris (it
>being analagous to Openoffice) and that opensolaris was killed off -
>not the regular Solaris which is alive and well (as far as I can tell)
>... even tho dwindling for sure.

The community should have seen this coming. Next up might be spinning off of Java. Oracle is in the business of making money (lot of it.) Supporting 'free' software is not in their game plan. Basically, Oracle bought Sun Microsystems for their hardware and the Solaris Operating System. All else is subject to discardment, either outright as was OpenSolaris or through sell-off (I expect this with StarOffice/OpenOffice, if it has not happened yet.) It may go to a company like Apple or maybe to SAP. In any case, I don't expect StarOffice to remain an Oracle product for long.

James McKenzie

Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Antonio Olivares

Dear folks,

Upon reading some alerts, I have found out that OpenOffice is being forked and now it will be LibreOffice. It has the backing of Novel, Red Hat, ..., etc. This had to be done because of Oracle's recent treatment of OpenSolaris, and the possibility of it doing something similar here?

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3905711/Open-Office-Suite-Gets-Forked.htm

We would have still had gnumeric, and abiword, koffice and other software, but just in case Oracle changes it's mind?

Now,
Fedora 14 will continue to ship with OpenOffice version, will next version of Fedora switch to LibreOffice? Thanks!

Regards,

Antonio

Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 AM
edik landave

Long Life to LibreOffice!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 19:46:11 -0700,
edik landave <elwanka@gmail.com> wrote:
> Long Life to LibreOffice!

Note that it is still possible they will get to use the openoffice.org
trademark as Oracle has been invited to participate.
See the H coverage of this:
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/LibreOffice-A-fresh-page-for-OpenOffice-1097358.html

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 AM
JD

On 09/28/2010 08:08 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 19:46:11 -0700,
> edik landave<elwanka@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Long Life to LibreOffice!
> Note that it is still possible they will get to use the openoffice.org
> trademark as Oracle has been invited to participate.
> See the H coverage of this:
> http://www.h-online.com/open/features/LibreOffice-A-fresh-page-for-OpenOffice-1097358.html
Well, my reading of the "software crystal ball" tells me
that business is in a nosedive worldwide.
Oracle has already refused to participate in the new open
source OS which is supposed to be based on opensolaris.
I predict they will do the same with libreoffice.
They really do not want a binary compatible competition
to Solaris, nor do they want any os out there named solaris
other than their own.
I hope they will continue to be a successful business unlike
so many that have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Genes MailLists

On 09/29/2010 12:12 AM, JD wrote:

> Well, my reading of the "software crystal ball" tells me
> that business is in a nosedive worldwide.
> Oracle has already refused to participate in the new open
> source OS which is supposed to be based on opensolaris.

completely different - (open)solaris was/is essentially dead - linux
is the de facto server standard .. why would any business want to spend
money on open solaris - linux is their core.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:08 AM
JD

On 09/28/2010 10:10 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 09/29/2010 12:12 AM, JD wrote:
>
>> Well, my reading of the "software crystal ball" tells me
>> that business is in a nosedive worldwide.
>> Oracle has already refused to participate in the new open
>> source OS which is supposed to be based on opensolaris.
>
> completely different - (open)solaris was/is essentially dead - linux
> is the de facto server standard .. why would any business want to spend
> money on open solaris - linux is their core.

Hundreds of thousands of Solaris installed bases will not dump
Solaris and switch to Linux. Too darned expensive to do so.
They would have to throw away their millions if not billions in
software and development investments, and then spend more
to have the same ported or re-developed for Linux.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Genes MailLists

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Genes MailLists

On 09/29/2010 11:05 AM, Michal wrote:

>> I doubt there are 100's of 1,000's of business' running opensolaris
> I don't

opensolaris not solaris ? really ? wow ..

Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
JD