Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Genes MailLists

Default OpenOffice to LibreOffice

On 09/29/2010 12:51 PM, JD wrote:

> On 09/29/2010 07:09 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> Hundreds of thousands of Solaris installed bases will not dump
>>> Solaris and switch to Linux. Too darned expensive to do so.
>> I doubt there are 100's of 1,000's of business' running opensolaris ...
> Solaris runs all over USA, Europe, Asia and Africa and South America.
> Yes --- there are that many installations.
> Relative to market size, it is a small ratio to be sure.

The discussion (at least from me) was more about Opensolaris (it
being analagous to Openoffice) and that opensolaris was killed off -
not the regular Solaris which is alive and well (as far as I can tell)
... even tho dwindling for sure.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Genes MailLists

On 09/29/2010 03:51 PM, James Mckenzie wrote:
e.

> The community should have seen this coming. Next up might be spinning off of Java. Oracle is in the business of making money (lot of it.)
>
> Supporting 'free' software is not in their game plan. Basically, Oracle bought Sun Microsystems for their hardware and the Solaris Operating System.
> All else is subject to discardment, either outright as was OpenSolaris or through sell-off (I expect this with StarOffice/OpenOffice, if it has
> not happened yet.) It may go to a company like Apple or maybe to SAP. In any case, I don't expect StarOffice to remain an Oracle product for long.
>
> James McKenzie

Indeed and time will tell .. ZFS may also have been be a part of it
... its a potentially decent fit for their server side bus ...

But we have LibreOffice now ... is that sufficient for linux needs or
you think something additional is needed .. resources perhaps ?