Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM
"Michael Schwendt"

Default GNOME Session crashes after less then 10 seconds

On 21/01/2008, ghostdog <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:
> Hello alltogether,
>
> i just upgraded my FC7 to F8 with yum. All works fine and looks nice.
> after this, i removed using yum several new programs,

"yum remove ..."? Big mistake. It has burnt other people before you.
It is known to remove as many package as necessary to uninstall
something without creating any unresolved dependencies. So far, so
good. But for some things that is still too much and damages your
installation, because not everything is hardwired in form of package
dependencies. Packages you've erased may be required for your desktop
to not malfunction. Save a copy of /var/log/yum.conf and try to
reinstall some of the packages listed as "Erased". It might help to
post that list.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

ghostdog wrote:

Hello alltogether,

i just upgraded my FC7 to F8 with yum. All works fine and looks
nice. after this, i removed using yum several new programs, which
i thought for my needless. this was majorly some multimedia
programs like bluetooth support or cd burning programs. i have
also disabled one or two services over the
administration->service tool. an after this, the problems begun.
after a restart, the login manager of gnome is displayed, but
every acount (root or normal user) will be notice a error message
like: Your session takes at least less than 10 second ... (it was
displayed in german) and a firefox without window title, a xterm
window (which doesnt work) and a square clock will be displayed.

the harddisk contains enought free space, and the Xorg.log or the
xsession-errors.log contains no addional informations.

have anybody a hint for me? Thanks a lot.

Take a look in /var/log/messages. It may have a clue.

I can not tell from your description if you are getting the Gnome
desktop with these programs open, or if you are not getting a
desktop or window manager at all, or just the programs specified
running in the X server. It sounds like the later because you say
you do not get a title window. That sounds like you are getting the
fall back when it can the system can not find any windows managers.

You MAY be able to recover by running "yum groupinstall gnome" or
something like that. But this is just a guess at this point, with
the information you have given.

Mikkel

Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
William Estrada

Hey Dog,

I have seen this many times. The problem is that the remove process is not
very smart. For example, try to remove Evolution and you will also remove
most of Gnome! I suspect that you have remove things that you did not want
to remove? Try reinstalling Gnome. You can do this from the command line,
just bring up your system at 'init 3' and run yum.

--
William Estrada
MrUmunhum@popdial.com

Message: 1

Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
"Michael Schwendt"

On 21/01/2008, Jan Gäbler <jan-gaebler@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i will concretise my last statement. I have remove the different programs
> by Pup (i think it is called so), the yum graphical extension for gnome.
> This removed all dependencies, when present, but the mostly items had no
> one.
>
> And a big mistake in addition, according a problem solving hint from the
> world of google, i removed all logs, to create more disk space. Thus, i'm
> not able to present this file.

Pardon? Are you kidding? How much disk space did you gain by doing
that? Here, the yum.log for December ist 30 KB, and the one for Januar
so far is 15 KB.

> can the problem be resolved by uninstalling gnome and install it later
> again?

At least, a "yum groupinstall gnome-desktop" should not make it worse.