Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Manuel Escudero

Default Intel GMA 3100 Card in fedora 13

Hello,

Humm I have a question... I've been trying out many distros in my computer by LiveCD's and all of them (Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu just to give some examples)*

are fully compatible with my Intel GMA 3100 card (I can say that because their KDE Desktops are totally Transparent) But in my Fedora 13 I can't get a*Transparent KDE*

Even if I enable Kwin effects (Wich make computer slow btw) and if I wanna run Windows 7 inside VMware player I can't get Aero working because (as vmware says)*

The system doesn't have 3D Graphics support or something like that... Is there a solution for my problem? Do I have to install something in order to get fedora recognizing my Graphics card?

Thanks!

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052

@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31* 1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6

Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Suvayu Ali

Hi Manuel,

On Monday 27 September 2010 06:49 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> I've been trying out many distros in my computer
> by LiveCD's and all of them (Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu just to give some
> examples) are fully compatible with my Intel GMA 3100 card (I can say that
> because their KDE Desktops are totally Transparent) But in my Fedora 13 I
> can't get a Transparent KDE

I don't know much about this particular chipset, but some Intel graphics
chipsets (poulsbo?) require non-free drivers. These are available from
RPMFusion. Have you investigated that possibility?

--
Suvayu

Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Klaasjan Brand

On Monday 27 September 2010 06:49 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> I've been trying out many distros in my computer

> by LiveCD's and all of them (Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu just to give some

> examples) *are fully compatible with my Intel GMA 3100 card (I can say that

> because their KDE Desktops are totally Transparent) But in my Fedora 13 I

> can't get a Transparent KDE

I don't know much about this particular chipset, but some Intel graphics

chipsets (poulsbo?) require non-free drivers. These are available from

RPMFusion. Have you investigated that possibility?

Intel x3100 is part of the 965 chipset and certainly not poulsbo.

I'm currently running Fedora 13 (Gnome with compiz enabled) on a laptop with this chipset, so maybe it's a problem with the KDE windowmanager?

Klaasjan

Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Manuel Escudero

On Monday 27 September 2010 06:49 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> I've been trying out many distros in my computer
> by LiveCD's and all of them (Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu just to give some

> examples) *are fully compatible with my Intel GMA 3100 card (I can say that
> because their KDE Desktops are totally Transparent) But in my Fedora 13 I
> can't get a Transparent KDE

I don't know much about this particular chipset, but some Intel graphics

chipsets (poulsbo?) require non-free drivers. These are available from
RPMFusion. Have you investigated that possibility?

Intel x3100 is part of the 965 chipset and certainly not poulsbo.

I'm currently running Fedora 13 (Gnome with compiz enabled) on a laptop with this chipset, so maybe it's a problem with the KDE windowmanager?

Klaasjan

Well, I don't believe it's kde problem because VMware player is not able to run aero inside windows seven because the graphics card is not "detected"... How do I install intel non free drivers from RPM Fusion?

*
BTW, I can run Kwin effects (something like compiz) but they don't run very well in fedora, the machine starts to be slow, something that do not happen in other distros...

Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
suvayu ali

Hi Manuel,

On 28 September 2010 17:32, Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I don't believe it's kde problem because VMware player is not able to
> run aero inside windows seven because the graphics card is not "detected"...
> How do I install intel non free drivers from RPM Fusion?

As someone else mentioned in the thread, your chipset is not poulsbo,
I don't know whether this is the right solution but nonetheless the
non-free drivers are called xorg-x11-drv-psb. So enabling the
RPMFusion repositories, both free and non-free and then a yum install
should let you install them.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>As someone else mentioned in the thread, your chipset is not poulsbo,
>I don't know whether this is the right solution but nonetheless the
>non-free drivers are called xorg-x11-drv-psb. So enabling the
>RPMFusion repositories, both free and non-free and then a yum install
>should let you install them.

I'm confused, you confirmed those aren't applicable to his chipset but
suggest he use them? Ok...

CMIIW, but wasn't that yanked out before F13?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
suvayu ali

On 29 September 2010 11:43, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>As someone else mentioned in the thread, your chipset is not poulsbo,
>>I don't know whether this is the right solution but nonetheless the
>>non-free drivers are called xorg-x11-drv-psb. So enabling the
>>RPMFusion repositories, both free and non-free and then a yum install
>>should let you install them.
>
> I'm confused, you confirmed those aren't applicable to his chipset but
> suggest he use them? Ok...

I didn't confirm, someone else mentioned so. But as word of mouth
goes, every poster is vulnerable to faltering memory, outdated
information and what not. So I provided the OP a way to try out those
drivers in case he finds the previously mentioned information
inaccurate, and his chipset is indeed a poulsbo chipset after all. I'm
terribly short of time otherwise I would do the research myself and
post whatever I find. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

> CMIIW, but wasn't that yanked out before F13?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Manuel Escudero

2010/9/29 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>

On 29 September 2010 11:43, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

>>As someone else mentioned in the thread, your chipset is not poulsbo,

>>I don't know whether this is the right solution but nonetheless the

>>non-free drivers are called xorg-x11-drv-psb. So enabling the

>>RPMFusion repositories, both free and non-free and then a yum install

>>should let you install them.

> I'm confused, you confirmed those aren't applicable to his chipset but

> suggest he use them? Ok...

I didn't confirm, someone else mentioned so. But as word of mouth

goes, every poster is vulnerable to faltering memory, outdated

information and what not. So I provided the OP a way to try out those

drivers in case he finds the previously mentioned information

inaccurate, and his chipset is indeed a poulsbo chipset after all. I'm

terribly short of time otherwise I would do the research myself and

post whatever I find. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

> CMIIW, but wasn't that yanked out before F13?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

--

Suvayu

The*xorg-x11-drv-psb package do not exist in my Fedora's repositories, do I have to add something?

Oh! and today is the Graphics test day for F14 And someone just tested an Intel GMA x3100 card

with all the tests passed... The GMA x3100 is just the mobile version of my Graphics card as far as I understand.

Does this means that if I install F14 I'm going to have a Transparent KDE and Full 3D Graphics support?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Stephen Gallagher