Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Example of get nVidia

Here is how I think answers to questions should look like.

Question: How can I tell if my computer is using a nVida video card?

Answer: Check what your computer hardware is. In a root terminal type
lspci and you will have something like this if you have it:

00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce
6100] (rev a2)

This is from my computer. If you see no nVidia anywhere then you do not
have a nVidia video card.

Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?

Answer: This is a two step procedure. We will want to yum install the
driver.

Step 1: For sure you have a fedora.repo in your yum repo storage. If you
have never installed another repo then you must get the livna repo.

If you know you have other repo's in your system with a root
terminal cd /etc/yum.repo.d/ if your using F8. Here is how your
directory might look.

[root@k5di yum.repos.d]# ls
fedora-development.repo fedora-updates.repo livna.repo
Fedora-install-media.repo fedora-updates-testing.repo livna-testing.repo
fedora.repo livna-devel.repo

If your directory does not have any livna.xxx files you need to
continue. If yours looks like mine go to step 2.

To get the livna repo files in an rpm, you need to go to the livna
web page. Do this by putting livna into google. When there click on the
rectangle with your version of Fedora. A window will open up and when
you have the rpm downloaded you can leave the web page.

On your system in a root terminal install the rpm you just
downloaded with # rpm -i filename.rpm and it should load without any
problem.

This completes Step 1.

Step 2: In this step we will get the proper files to set your Fedora so
it works with a nVidia VGA controller. The proper files are on the livna
computer so the easy way is to "yum" them. Use this method:

In a root terminal type yum install kmod-nvidia. You should get 4 rpm
packages. When they are installed reboot your computer and it will come
up with the full features of nVidia video.

KFL

Karl

Old 01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Here is how I think answers to questions should look like.

... snip ...

> Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?
>
> Answer: This is a two step procedure. ...

or, as an alternative, rather than continually polluting this list
with badly-written advice that almost never works, you can try
something wild and crazy and start a blog, like this guy just
announced, and post the info there:

http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/2008/01/installing-nvidia-and-ati-cards-in.html

where the aforementioned beginner even recognizes the value of other
peoples' work and simply links to a detailed write-up of how to do it
properly, including contingency plans for when something doesn't quite
work and ... and ... oh, screw it, why do i bother, since every
conversation with karl ends up as:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/143296774_97691615cb.jpg

is it too early for a beer?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 11:35 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> > Here is how I think answers to questions should look like.
>
> ... snip ...
>
> > Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?
> >
> > Answer: This is a two step procedure. ...
>
> or, as an alternative, rather than continually polluting this list
> with badly-written advice that almost never works, you can try
> something wild and crazy and start a blog, like this guy just
> announced, and post the info there:
>
> http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/2008/01/installing-nvidia-and-ati-cards-in.html
>
> where the aforementioned beginner even recognizes the value of other
> peoples' work and simply links to a detailed write-up of how to do it
> properly, including contingency plans for when something doesn't quite
> work and ... and ... oh, screw it, why do i bother, since every
> conversation with karl ends up as:
>
> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/143296774_97691615cb.jpg
>
> is it too early for a beer?
----
it's 5:00 somewhere

Craig

Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Jan 21, 2008 8:35 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> > Here is how I think answers to questions should look like.
>
> ... snip ...
>
> > Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?
> >
> > Answer: This is a two step procedure. ...
>
> or, as an alternative, rather than continually polluting this list
> with badly-written advice that almost never works, you can try
> something wild and crazy and start a blog, like this guy just
> announced, and post the info there:
>
> http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/2008/01/installing-nvidia-and-ati-cards-in.html
>
> where the aforementioned beginner even recognizes the value of other
> peoples' work and simply links to a detailed write-up of how to do it
> properly, including contingency plans for when something doesn't quite
> work and ... and ... oh, screw it, why do i bother, since every
> conversation with karl ends up as:
>
> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/143296774_97691615cb.jpg
>
> is it too early for a beer?

Sadly, Karl is one of those people who is too clueless to realize how
clueless he really is.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
David Boles

Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 21 January 2008 17:40, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 11:35 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > > Here is how I think answers to questions should look like.
> >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > > Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?
> > >
> > > Answer: This is a two step procedure. ...
> >
> > or, as an alternative, rather than continually polluting this list
> > with badly-written advice that almost never works, you can try
> > something wild and crazy and start a blog, like this guy just
> > announced, and post the info there:
> >
> > http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/2008/01/installing-nvidia-and-ati-car
> >ds-in.html
> >
> > where the aforementioned beginner even recognizes the value of other
> > peoples' work and simply links to a detailed write-up of how to do it
> > properly, including contingency plans for when something doesn't quite
> > work and ... and ... oh, screw it, why do i bother, since every
> > conversation with karl ends up as:
> >
> > http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/143296774_97691615cb.jpg
> >
> > is it too early for a beer?
>
> ----
> it's 5:00 somewhere
>
> Craig

It's 18:49 here, and I've nearly finished my 2nd one. I don't know if that is
a bad sign.

Nigel.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:50:05 -0800
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sadly, Karl is one of those people who is too clueless to realize how
> clueless he really is.

Now there is irony. Someone who has proven himself to be a bald-faced liar
calling someone else clueless.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Frank Cox wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:50:05 -0800
Sadly, Karl is one of those people who is too clueless to realize how
clueless he really is.

Now there is irony. Someone who has proven himself to be a bald-faced liar
calling someone else clueless.

Even a liar tells the truth sometimes.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:58:34 -0600
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> Even a liar tells the truth sometimes.

Indeed. I guess that's part of the irony, isn't it.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Karl Larsen wrote:

Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?

Answer: This is a two step procedure. We will want to yum install the
driver.
Don't forget to tell them that there are three drivers, proper driver
depends upon card.

Your instructions wouldn't work with my GeForce 2 or my GeForce 4 440MX