Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Brian Wood

Default System time running fast

I have an HP computer with an AMD Athlon X2 dual core
processor. It has Fedora 13 on it. It continually reports the
time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.
I doubt this is a Fedora problem, but am not sure how to
fix this and thought I'd ask here. I know how to reset the
time, but want to know what can be done so there wouldn't
be any need to do that. Thanks in advance.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises

Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 AM
charles zeitler

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP computer with an AMD Athlon X2 dual core
> processor. *It has Fedora 13 on it. *It continually reports the
> time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.
> Brian Wood
> Ebenezer Enterprises
> http://webEbenezer.net
> (651) 251-9384

ntpd

charles zeitler

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:05 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Thursday 23 September 2010 06:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> It continually reports the
> time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.

Are you dual booting with Windows? If yes that might be the reason.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Tanmoy Chatterjee

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 September 2010 06:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > * It continually reports the
> > time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.
>
> Are you dual booting with Windows? If yes that might be the reason.
I have recently installed Fedora 13 by shrinking my ubuntu partition.
On the start due to some error( on my part) grub only choosing fedora
to boot the system. After the correction on grub config I can now dual
boot Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 9.04 - since then the time shown on Fedora
Desktop is always incorrect. It's started happening only after the
dual boot option is available to me. Solution required - thanks in
advance.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Friday 24 September 2010 07:00 AM, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday 23 September 2010 06:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> It continually reports the
>>> time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.
>>
>> Are you dual booting with Windows? If yes that might be the reason.
> I have recently installed Fedora 13 by shrinking my ubuntu partition.
> On the start due to some error( on my part) grub only choosing fedora
> to boot the system. After the correction on grub config I can now dual
> boot Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 9.04 - since then the time shown on Fedora
> Desktop is always incorrect. It's started happening only after the
> dual boot option is available to me. Solution required - thanks in
> advance.

Usually this happens when you dual boot with windows, but I guess it can
happen with Ubuntu too.

You should check whether Ubuntu is configured to update the hardware
clock to local time or not. If it is, then turn it _off_. You need to
set both Ubuntu and Fedora to keep the hardware clock synchronised with
UTC and display the time adjusted for your time zone.

To achieve this in Fedora (and probably will work for Ubuntu too) is to
open up system-config-date and under the "Time" tab check the box saying
"System clock uses UTC". I would also recommend turning ntpd on (a
check-box on "Date and Time" tab)

Hope this will resolve the issue for you. GL.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP computer with an AMD Athlon X2 dual core
> processor. *It has Fedora 13 on it. *It continually reports the
> time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.
> I doubt this is a Fedora problem, but am not sure how to
> fix this and thought I'd ask here. *I know how to reset the
> time, but want to know what can be done so there wouldn't
> be any need to do that. *Thanks in advance.

There's a kernel option for clock=pit that might help. I.e., add the
clock=pit to your kernel boot parameters then reboot.

Not sure if it applies here, but there are also lots of VMWare related
messages about clocks. They have recommended using a different
stepping algorithm to the kernel. If you google "Linux VMware clock"
there are quite a few hits.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Jerry Feldman

On 09/24/2010 10:23 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Friday 24 September 2010 07:00 AM, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:

>>> Are you dual booting with Windows? If yes that might be the reason.
>>>
>> I have recently installed Fedora 13 by shrinking my ubuntu partition.
>> On the start due to some error( on my part) grub only choosing fedora
>> to boot the system. After the correction on grub config I can now dual
>> boot Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 9.04 - since then the time shown on Fedora
>> Desktop is always incorrect. It's started happening only after the
>> dual boot option is available to me. Solution required - thanks in
>> advance.
>>
> Usually this happens when you dual boot with windows, but I guess it can
> happen with Ubuntu too.
>
> You should check whether Ubuntu is configured to update the hardware
> clock to local time or not. If it is, then turn it _off_. You need to
> set both Ubuntu and Fedora to keep the hardware clock synchronised with
> UTC and display the time adjusted for your time zone.
>
> To achieve this in Fedora (and probably will work for Ubuntu too) is to
> open up system-config-date and under the "Time" tab check the box saying
> "System clock uses UTC". I would also recommend turning ntpd on (a
> check-box on "Date and Time" tab)
>
> Hope this will resolve the issue for you. GL.

First, if the OP is dual booting with Windows, then

system-config-date and under the "Time" tab UNCHECK the box saying
"System clock uses UTC". I would also recommend turning ntpd on (a
check-box on "Date and Time" tab) System/Administration/Date and Time from the menu.

Windows always uses local time. Unix was designed to use UTC, but Linux can be either because it is frequently dual booted. You can also set up NTP, by going to the same screen under the date and time tab, and syncronize date and time over Internet. It is best to choose time servers close to you, but you can also use the ones that are preset in fedora.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix

Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Tanmoy Chatterjee

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 24 September 2010 07:00 AM, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:

>>> Are you dual booting with Windows? If yes that might be the reason.
>> I have recently installed Fedora 13 by shrinking my ubuntu partition.
>> On the start due to some error( on my part) grub only choosing fedora
>> to boot the system. After the correction on grub config I can now dual
>> boot Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 9.04 - since then the time shown on Fedora
>> Desktop is always incorrect. It's started happening only after the
>> dual boot option is available to me. Solution required - thanks in
>> advance.
>
> Usually this happens when you dual boot with windows, but I guess it can
> happen with Ubuntu too.
>
> You should check whether Ubuntu is configured to update the hardware
> clock to local time or not. If it is, then turn it _off_. You need to
> set both Ubuntu and Fedora to keep the hardware clock synchronised with
> UTC and display the time adjusted for your time zone.
>
> To achieve this in Fedora (and probably will work for Ubuntu too) is to
> open up system-config-date and under the "Time" tab check the box saying
> "System clock uses UTC".
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Suvayu. You have solved my problem. Sorry for
being late to reply. Actually I am waiting to see whether the changes
are permanent or not.
> I would also recommend turning ntpd on (a
> check-box on "Date and Time" tab)
I have not done this though. Is it necessary?

> Hope this will resolve the issue for you. GL.
One thing I want to share with you and other users here - I have also
been a subscriber to another user's mailing list - though I am not
here for long - still the queries I have posted here got quick and
perfect solution than elsewhere - it seems to me the users here are
more knowledgeable than elsewhere.

Thanks a lot-

with regards
tanmoy